MS2 JE V8 help please!

minimental

Hi all, no more luck today but i have got a datalog, unfortunatly i can work out how to post it, its an msl and the forum says i dont have permission to upload this type of file? i feel more stupid each time i attempt anything at the moment!

Cheers

Reuben

Rename it to .msl.txt it might fool the forum into accepting it.

I don't touch MS2 as there's far too many things to adjust (= get wrong), for running an RV8 you could "downgrade" your MS2 by unplugging the CPU module & dropping an MS1 CPU in (remembering to check the jumpers inside the ECU so you don't blow it up).

What I would say is be very wary of any calculated values like "load %", go from actual sensor readings and check that they tally up with what is actually happening with the engine. A mis-matched or incorrectly wired (or plumbed) sensor can give stoopid readings, by the time you've run it through some maths with another sensor reading in the mix it could come out looking believable and lead you up the garden path when the original value is clearly nuts.

Also, don't worry about small differences in things like MAP-at-idle between your engine & someone else's, as Dave says they're all different. Worry about the reading changing in the expected direction and being within sensible bounds.

Oh and when you're trying to get it to run, turn off as many corrections and adjustments as you can - you don't want to be fighting the ECU as you're changing something one way it's trying to correct it back the other way and again you're up the garden path wondering why the idle screw won't increase the idle as the ECU is gradually turning the idle valve behind your back 'cos it thinks you asked for 500rpm idle...

Rename it to .msl.txt it might fool the forum into accepting it.

I don't touch MS2 as there's far too many things to adjust (= get wrong), for running an RV8 you could "downgrade" your MS2 by unplugging the CPU module & dropping an MS1 CPU in (remembering to check the jumpers inside the ECU so you don't blow it up).

What I would say is be very wary of any calculated values like "load %", go from actual sensor readings and check that they tally up with what is actually happening with the engine. A mis-matched or incorrectly wired (or plumbed) sensor can give stoopid readings, by the time you've run it through some maths with another sensor reading in the mix it could come out looking believable and lead you up the garden path when the original value is clearly nuts.

Also, don't worry about small differences in things like MAP-at-idle between your engine & someone else's, as Dave says they're all different. Worry about the reading changing in the expected direction and being within sensible bounds.

Oh and when you're trying to get it to run, turn off as many corrections and adjustments as you can - you don't want to be fighting the ECU as you're changing something one way it's trying to correct it back the other way and again you're up the garden path wondering why the idle screw won't increase the idle as the ECU is gradually turning the idle valve behind your back 'cos it thinks you asked for 500rpm idle...

That might not be possible (MS2 to MS2) depending on how the board was built, there are bits that MS1 needs on the main board that MS2 doesnt so they may have been left off.

As above, just change the extension from .msl to .txt or .log, not sure which file types the forum will accept but it's unlikely to look beyond the extension on the end of the file name.

I'm sorting out a reasonable spark table for you. Regarding the load/MAP steps, assuming that load% is actually MAP then there is no point in having positions below 20 kpa. Rather than having equal steps between 20 and 100 it's often worth having smaller steps around the idle just to help fine tune idle which is pretty much the most difficult part to tune. Hopefully the log file will confirm the load vs MAP thing, can you also upload the msq that was in use when the log file was created.

Hi

Thanks for all your help,

even with changed name (.log .txt) i cant seem to upload it even as a zip file :wacko: i am away for the next few days now (off to lemans :D )but will still be checking the forum and i can try and email it to anyone if they pm me there email address!

Dave a spark map would be amazing!

thanks again!

Reuben