gearbox oil question

Just changed my oil used mtf must admit was expecting miracles.

In reality it has reduced gearbox noise but initial gear changes are now more crunchy than before I changed the oil. However it does improve after driving for a while.

The oil did need changing it was black and gunky.

But honestly can't say it's made any dramatic difference.

Just changed my oil used mtf must admit was expecting miracles.

In reality it has reduced gearbox noise but initial gear changes are now more crunchy than before I changed the oil. However it does improve after driving for a while.

The oil did need changing it was black and gunky.

But honestly can't say it's made any dramatic difference.

The friction modifiers can take up to 800km to flush the old ones out of the clutch hub faces and embed themselves when changing fluid types.

Most specific modern manual trans fluids use special friction modifiers to enhance synchro performance, they generally exhibit a higher coefficient of friction with lowering rotational face speeds.

Generally speaking a lower viscosity fluid aids shiftability, particularly at low ambients/operating temps, but higher viscosity fluids protect bearings and gears better than lower viscosity ones.

This doesn't take into account the additive package and base oils, which can totally change the outcome, nor does it take into account higher operating temps where the low visc fluid may become too thin and synchro clutch baulking may result.

I've had this happen with a premium 75W-85 (11.9cSt@100*C) MTF oil in high ambient/high load situation in an R380. I'd hate to think what it would've been like with an ATF.