BUGGER

JeffR

I wonder if that relates to how worn the injector pump is? Perhaps Richards has been rebuilt?

I got the FIP with the engine - pretty much no history - i was told it had 90k on it, but nothing to prove it.I've run it for 60k miles since i fitted it and serviced every 6k in that time. Often run it on SVO as well. The engine is surprisingly spritely though so i have no idea if the pump has been altered at all. I have tweaked it (cone, starwheel and pump pressure) myself. The only thing i notice that is odd about my pump is that the internal bore of the pipe that rums form the filter to the pump seems to be larger than standard. I dont know if that would make a difference here?

Hmmm, that wrecked my theory then :)

It doesn't make sense to me either! If I forget to turn the facet on, it will still reach 85 if I want. The lift pump had definitely failed before I out the electric one on and I only noticed it because the fuel filter was half empty when I serviced it. I expected even better performance with a working lift pump, but it was little changed.

• 3 weeks later...

OK tracked down the problem, meant to post this a while ago but life got in the way. It turned out to be that The Lone Ranger and Tonto (previous owners) had removed the sediment and joined the pipes together with a bit of rubber hose of doubtful parentage, which had become porous.

Mind you I did find out that a 200 Tdi tank sender can easily be replaced with a 300 Tdi sender by splitting the earth, the difference in price between the two is rather shocking.