Electrical noise from ABS pump when vehicle not running

v8Dougie

2003 Discovery 2 v8

Strange one I think this, I have done a search and cannot find anything which seems to relate to it, but describing is tricky.

Last night, whilst I was having a look at the cooling fan wiring, I heard a quiet repeating electrical noise. Traced it to the ABS pump, confirmed by disconnecting the wires and the noise stopped, reconnected came back straight away. To confirm, the vehicle was not running and had not been used since Sunday (3 days).

Is this normal? I have no ABS issues and brake fluid is okay. Next thing is I had a flat battery on Sunday morning. Didn't think much of it as hadn't used the car for a week or so and don't know how strong the battery is. Drove the car approximately 30 miles on Sunday, no more starting issues and I would assume enough to recharge the battery. This morning, 3 days later, flat battery again. This has only just started happening so wondering if the two are connected?

Any help much appreciated

Running pump tells me the pump "rhinks" there is not enough pressure in the system.

Could be a faulty pressure switch, pump.

Have it talking to the computer - could tell you more.

I've heard the same from my car, never had battery issues after 2 weeks of being sat.

I assume it's activated by unlocking/the key, so even when not starting the vehicle it's "awake" for a potential start up like a few systems. Because I don't leave the vehicle with the bonnet open I can't say for sure if it's always on (as you have to unlock the car to open the bonnet to hear it).