Salisbury halfshafts

Evening all, today my short side rear shaft broke and I now obviously need a replacement. The current one has had two years of abuse from me so has done pretty well but I don't think a new britpart one is up to the same standards?

Does anyone have real life experience of cheaper halfshafts or do I need to go se Mr Ashcroft?

Will.

I wouldn't stuff around, I'd use Ashcrofts, but if pennies are an issue ATM, I'd wager Bearmach would be reasonable quality, I could never trust anythingm out of a blue box, unless you are dead certain it comes from the OE supplier and is made to the same specs as L/R specify.

I installed Maxi Drive axles and drive flanges in 2002 and have never had to touch them, so it can become a case of you can pay me now or you can pay me later.

Personally I'd go aftermarket heavy duty (ashcrofts). If funds are an issue short term then ask around for a second hand oe shaft to get you back on the road, and then watch devon4x4 forum, gigglepin and winch challenge Facebook pages for some Ashcroft shafts for sale.

They do come up fairly regularly and in my opinion second hand ones are nothing to be afraid of - I get my rear shafts third hand and have been abusing them regularly, iirc I have larger tyres and lockers which you don't. I paid ~ £175 which I thought was good value, but I've seen them cheaper

Hmmm I was about to spend some wonga with Ashcroft for the front last week until the website said they were out of stock.

I will price up some genuine shafts at work and see from there although now I have broken one I'll always have that doubt, until now I considered the sailsbury as bombproof and was never scared of the loud pedal when it was required.

Lewis I don't suppose you know of any shafts for sale at the moment?

The other question, is how does a standard 3.54 sailsbury compare to a pegged 3.54 long nose 4 pin?

Will.

I don't mate, I did have a flick through the various Facebook pages where you see these things this morning, but no joy. I hadn't realised at first that yours was a Salisbury, I imagine second hand shafts will be harder to come by.

A pegged rover diff and Ashcroft shafts is gonna be a dear investment. My rear diff is pegged, my front will be if it ever comes out again

No we don't do lockers.

I pose the question as I currently run the rear salisbury and a 4pin in the front the idea being to Ashcroft the front and have done as the sals would never break....

But I also have a pair of D2 axles that I was tempted to fit but ruled out due to the extra cost of another 4pin and Ashcroft rear shafts, but if I'm buying the shafts anyway then I'm halfway there negating the fact I'll have to mod the brackets on the D2 axles and possibly renew the calipers. If only I hadn't just spent ~£130 maintaining the sals....

Will.

A tidy disk brake Salisbury with a well written advert is gonna make upwards of £300 on eBay - I've seen them for £850 - whether they sell at that is another matter. That would go a long way towards sorting the D2 axles, the extra track width and steering lock would be an advantage for your use