Defender headlights or not!

As a newbie I appreciate that there are posts similar, however I am stuck for ideas and so is the local garage.

Symptoms; 2002 defender 110. No dipped headlights or main beam. Sidelights and dim dipped on and main beam with flash only.

What have I done... Changed the fuses and the relay in the fuse box, read endless posts in forums that point to the switch being at fault so that's new too. Changed the relay behind the dash (the pink one).

Any suggestions would be welcome...

The main pin on the stalk where the power goes has got hot. The plastic melted and ran under it and the you have no power to those.

Needs a new one or a botch fix.

My botch fix is here. Well some pictures but you will see what i mean.

http://www.overlandbirds.com/news--blog/the-living-daylights

of course.....you changed the stalk so its a strange one.......which one did you change. Indicator or the other?

Think yourself lucky, my headlights went out at 70mph on the motorway with no street lights. Unfortunately/fortunately there was no cars near me, I was in total darkness. Never have I ever jammed the brakes on and come to a screaming halt so quickly! Had to cut and twist a few wires together under the dash and off i went again!