Going to see this old girl Tuesday advice please

Very broad generalisation but there seems to 3 main seller types on Ebay

1. Genuine businesses (maybe solely Ebay based or may just use it as a shop window). Characterised by large numbers of sales, a professional layout and contact links/details to trace the company

2. Proper private sellers, characterised by small sales volume of completely random stuff (though may be a theme if people have certain hobbies)

3. Wannabee Delboys. Easy to spot if you look at selling history. Often have a few negatives to their record, even with sub 1K sales volume.

I will buy from 1 with confidence, from 2 if they have a good 100% record, and very very rarely from 3 and then only small items if I can't find them anywhere else, and also only if they have a 100% record. This seller is a typical 3 in my book.

Have a good look through this seller's buyer's reviews - one with a complaint about a radio controlled car being broken, one that had bought phone top up cards which were invalid, one who bought an iPhone which never showed up, and several more undisclosed issues which were apparently resolved, all on the first ten pages of over 30 (mostly their purchases, so sales will be quick to read through).

All of the above! Though I probably wouldn't have bothered going any further than the initial advert.

Apart from the concentration on bling, no real information of use and that which was given was inaccurate. eg MoT until 1/2016? no, a licence check on the government vehicle enquiry shows MoT Expired: 15 May 2015. Has it been sitting for 4 months? If so where?

Google the mobile numbers given, one in Plymouth, the other near Sheffield, LR in Bewdley. Personalised number plate, but not mentioned. Blanking plate on roof - possibly for warning lamp. Google the reg and image - confirms the the asking price as of 15th August was £6995. Obviously trouble selling. No pictures of seats without covers, mismatched trim in rear etc Its a bitsa.

• 2 weeks later...

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-110-TD5-DEFENDER-P-X-or-SWAP-considered-146k-miles-/181834639877?nav=SEARCH

i all am going to look at this landy tomorrow. Haven't had a defender before

anything I should check or look for?

Also is pricing about right? And lastly what are the 2.5 engines like?

Ok few updates

I have wanted landy for a while and have been offered this in a swap for a car I am selling. So I could either wait out a sale which will take ages (am selling a merc 500sl)

or take this.

owner seems honest enough, doesn't seem to know alot about them, but sent log book stating a reg date of 17/10/97

2.5 tdi

But think he thinks td5 means tdi 2.5

said no issues with rust bar the back door

and is in for MOT which it failed today so viewing has been pushed back till parts come.

He just said " The garage actually said today it was a 2.5 tdi which they class as a 300"

I saw this multi panelled Landy broken down on the M42 yesterday around 3:30PM....... having previously read this thread I hoped it wasn't you who was standing on the side of the motorway!

Says it all imo!

Hope you find a good example!