300TDI into Series 3 ex 6 cylinder

HPLP

I've heard that if you've a diff in the transfer box then the UJs in the front axle are fine.

In other words, don't let the permanent nature of the LT230 put you off fitting one to a series. If it helps - there are other vehicles (jeep) that ran UJs in permanent 4x4 with no reported problems.

G.

The notable side effects on a series motor are heavier steering, and feedback through the wheel when doing full lock turns.

Both problems that will become somewhat less noticeable of you're running power steering also.

In general it's it a good idea to run an LT230 at road speeds with the diff locked for prolonged periods, as they tend to sieze solid due to lack of lubrication, whilst there's nothing wrong with doing a 'selectable' 2WD conversion by welding the diff gears if you do it properly.

It doesn't take away one of the bigger strengths of the LT230 in that you can run low range 4WD with an open centre diff, which is quite beneficial in examples such as maneuvering on hard ground with a large trailer.

In general it's it a good idea to run an LT230 at road speeds with the diff locked for prolonged periods, as they tend to sieze solid due to lack of lubrication,

Do you mean "it isnt a good idea to run an LT230 at road speeds with the diff locked"

I guess rather obviously you shouldn't have the diff locked on the road as you'll wind the transmission up and break it but I don't see how it leads to lack of lubrication?

Unless you mean with the 2WD conversion + free-wheeling front hubs so the front prop doesn't turn, but I don't think anyone would bother fitting the FWH's.

Do you mean "it isnt a good idea to run an LT230 at road speeds with the diff locked"

I guess rather obviously you shouldn't have the diff locked on the road as you'll wind the transmission up and break it but I don't see how it leads to lack of lubrication?

I assume you mean where the front prop isn't fitted?

Das - spinning one output of any open diff is going to give it a hard time due to the centre gears being relatively small and flying round at a rate of knots. In normal use that's not what happens with the 2WD conversion unless you fit the free-wheeling hubs (which I think people have stopped doing these days) or you're doing donuts in RWD mode (and mine has never blown up because of this). You'll kill an open axle diff the same way.

I'm not going to go through 10 pages of Pirate4x4 because those guys are talking about racing in modified motors, not bimbling round in an old Series with a TDi, so all bets are off. We've run 400+hp through an LT230 reliably, as have others on this forum, so let's squash the idea they're a bad box - they're one of LR's best bits of engineering.

I will say clearly: I have a 2WD converted LT230 behind a 4.6 V8, I have driven many thousands of miles in it at motorway speeds towing heavy loads and it has been absolutely fine.

I know this discussion has moved toward Defender transmission options, but I don't believe I've seen any suggestion of fitting a 4 cyl series box with the Tdi.

I managed 9 years with a 3.5 coupled to a series 3 box in my 88" and didn't kill it.

Drive sensibly and it can work well for a long time. I did a fair bit of towing with mine, plus the odd donut in the work car park, and it still survived.

V8's are much kinder to transmissions anyway. I've had a series 4-cylinder gearbox behind mine for about 7 years now, no confirmed kills. Just one box that refused to select second, completely without warning. Haven't stripped it yet to find out why, so I don't count it as a kill.

My suggestion to replace with an LT77 is based on having done it with The 109, and as you've got a 6-cylinder you've a bit of work to do anyway. After saying for years I'll not be taking the 4-speed out of Kettle (the 88), I've now changed my mind and will for certain take it out. It is a quieter gearbox.

• 3 weeks later...