Hub bearings

Just had a front bearing on my 1988 build 110 fall apart on me, I've got a couple in stock, but neither have L/R part numbers on them.

The parts book lists the outer as STC4382, which corresponds to the Timken LM603049 I have.
The inner is listed as RTC3429, whilst I have a Timken 359-S, which from googling I've found to be listed against Series Motors only.

Anyone got any idea if the inner I have could be pursuaded to do the job, or do I wait until I know I've got the right bits in my hand?
Before anyone suggests stripping it to find out, its still rolling at present, and I don't really want to upset the neighbours by leaving it bits on the -shared- driveway for a week if what I've got isn't right.

Those numbers mean nothing to me, however hub bearings for the series three and the Defender up to and including the 300Tdi are the same.

Only late series 3 had the same bearings as the defender... The earlier series 3s had 2 different size bearings in the hubs.

The bearings I believe are the same all they way upto Puma engined vehicles.

Those numbers mean nothing to me, however hub bearings for the series three and the Defender up to and including the 300Tdi are the same.

Only late series 3 had the same bearings as the defender... The earlier series 3s had 2 different size bearings in the hubs.

The bearings I believe are the same all they way upto Puma engined vehicles.

Dave,

RTC3429 was fitted to later Series III (Oct 1980-on with bearings the same size inner/outer) and to all 90/110, they are all compatible and all have two identical bearings in each hub. I believe STC4382 is another number for the same thing so your LM603049 bearing will do the job. Obviously you need two, if your other bearing matches the first one then you should be ok. However I suspect it doesn't, in which case you may be a bearing short.

I suspect your other bearing might be an earlier Series III one for pre-1980 vehicles that used differing inner/outer bearings in each hub (RTC3416/RTC3426) and will not be compatible.

I have in the past scavenged good bearings out of spare Land Rover axles in emergencies. If removed carefully they can be reused.