Wiring fault

Hi, I've got a problem with the wiring of my defender.

When I press the brake peddle, both brake lights and side side lights come on, when I put an indicator on, all the inductors come on, including the towing light on the dash board.

I've had no previous problems with the wiring, and not had any electrical work on it for over a year.

Does anyone have any idea what's causing it please?

Hi Les, where would I start?

Cheers

bunch of earth wires near clutch master cylinder, one screw to remove, clean all the ring terminals to bright metal, refit & smear some vaseline over to keep moisture off, each set of rear lights has a earth point in each rear inside corner of body check/clean those as well, each set of front lights are earthed to inner wing vertical part behind front lights, do the same to these, if that doesn't fix it try cleaning the main battery/engine earth cable end fittings.

I had exactly this problem once before and it took me ages to resolve and the solution was so simple. The tail/break light is one bulb with two filaments inside (5W/21W). I hadn't realised but the brake light filament had broken and fallen onto the tail light filament thus whenever I applied the brake, 12 Volts would be "shorted" onto the sidelighting circuit (front and rear). Take out both of your rear tail/break light bulbs - I eckon you'll see part of a filament touching another filament in one of them!

This drove me spanners when it happend. Whenever I was approaching a roundabout at night I'd apply the brake and the side lights would start randomly flickering - i checked all earthig points everything and it was just a bulb.