300 into a 200

FLASH

Friend has just done this. It cost a huge amount of money and to be honest the way he did it would not be my choice.

He fitted a 300 onto 200 engine mounts, used a short bell housing R380 and the problems were legion. where to put the air filter/trunking, exhaust front pipe, unique engine mounting for the right hand side. The vibration levels are epic in their scale and it is a horrible place to be when it is running

Unfortunately a discovery r reg turned up on a trailer today this is the donor vehicle . Same guy has a defender that lost oil pressure last year I explained could be bottom end or maybe cam bearings so should be stripped and rebuilt he bought a disco motor and wanted everything swapped from the old motor and check the bottom end while your at it. Still ended up as a rebuild as all crank bearings were buggered.

If I were you, I'd go the whole hog and fit the R380 too. Convert it to long stick using parts from the LT77, put the R380 on the LT77 mounts and take it from there. Retain the LT77 propshafts, I believe no modifications need to be done to the tunnel, weld up new engine mounts, modify the radiator mounts and the rest should be pretty easy. Where I come from, it's a common conversion but it's been so long since I saw one being fitted that I have forgotten the details. My 90 has this setup and I never needed to purchase any bespoke parts. The only thing that's different in my engine bay is the fuel filter. It's mounted on the bulkhead (as it woudl be with a 200tdi) so a 300-tdi filter fouls the air filter hose (I have to proper 300 tdi defender air filter). Therefore, I use a Citroen Xsara fuel filter (it's 30mm) shorter to clear the hose.