Range rover 4.0 in 98 land rover disco I

RedRover 1

To be pedantic, the blocks are actually different - a 98 Disco will have a 3.9 block and the RR a 4.0 block - for sure exactly the same capacity but the the 4.0 had 4 bolt mains and the crank shaft is a bit thicker. However given what you want to do this is not such an issue.

Also as mentioned there is no dissy on the 4.0.

The simplest way would be to take the timing case cover and cam shaft out of the 3.9 (should really put in a new camshaft) and put it on the 4.0 and then use the 3.9 injection etc.

I could be wrong but I doubt the 4.0 ECU will work in the Disco without a major and expensive re-write as it needs to talk to other computers in the P38 like the Body ECU that do not exist in a Disco. A better way would be to just put in the 4.0 complete and change the ECU to a Megsquirt ECU.

A less elegant way would be to put the 3.9 injection system on the 4.0 and use a Megajolt system to run the ignition but then why not throw the 4CUIX ECU out and Megasquirt the whole system.

Some options to ponder.

Garry

American market Discoverys had the 4 litre GEMS engine from about 1996, so if you were keen enough you could get the bits required to make it run standalone without the hassle of making a P38 ECU and wiring work.

3.9 front end on the 4.0 and keep the 14CUX is probably the cheapest (along with the simplest) and how I'd most likely do it,

Many ways to skin a cat though.