300tdi PAS Pump or not?

PaulN

1998 300tdi engine:

Can I please get some advice as to what's going on here?

For some time I have had new Dayco Serp/Aux belts getting the engine side of the belt edge wear back due to a mis-alignment of pulleys.
The culprit is the PAS pump pulley that sits forward of the others and engine by 3 mill or so and the back keeper edge is chewing away at the belt. :o

Took pump pulley off to see if could have been put on backwards and it wasn't and the depth of rim is the same anyway so I compared to a spare pulley and they are the same dims and pattern.

Comparing again with an engine I have on a stand and looking down from the top of the truck engine it appears that, whilst I have the same stamped numbers on each pump, there appears to be two elements on the truck pump behind the triangular mounting flange where there's hardly any space between pump body and flange on the stand engine! :unsure:

Any ideas what these two bits are and whether the fix is a replacement pump, possible to remove spacers - or is it not even a 300tdi pump maybe? :mellow:

post-12912-0-31256200-1456786638_thumb.jpg

post-12912-0-13133100-1456786648_thumb.jpg

post-12912-0-23277700-1456786655_thumb.jpg

Ooer! :o Thanks for possibility...... I hadn't thought of that. Have just checked and both pumps are rock solid, rotate freely without bearing wobble so I'm wondering if it's not the proper pump for a 300?

Gulp! Thanks Ralph! :o

Think I'll carry a spare belt till I can have a closer look as all is functioning. Just thought it might be an obvious wrong choice of pump but pics not that good to determine upon reflection.

Start saving now....

Genuine may be perfect and maybe Bearmach but other pattern versions? - might they be different sizes?

Prob 'Dailysleeze' is on the right track and that someone has added spacers to take up wear slack maybe?

Anyway....

That may be the case, although I don't think it's an easy job to remove the flange from the shaft - you might as well just change the pump.

Mine failed halfway through Spain, so I had to order one by airmail and change it in a campsite. ZF is the OEM make around the £110 mark. The £60 mark might be more of a gamble.

https://www.lrdirect.com/ANR2157-Pas-Pump-300Tdi-Rrds90-110/

Another thing to check is that there's no washers or spacers between the block and the bracket, or bracket and the pump.