Converting a 200Tdi to auto transmission

Hi everyone.

I know the ZF box is longer than the LT77, but apart from moving the engine forwards and replacing the clutch and flywheel with the flex plate and torque converter, what is involved in the swap? I have a 200Tdi Discovery engine that had been mated to a long version LT77, still with its original flywheel housing, if that makes any difference.

You need the bracketry from the injection pump to connect the kickdown cable to -IIRC this is not fitted to non-auto models.

For longevity, you ought to fit a cooler, the RRC bogbrush version is most likely fine unless you are hardcore offroading, though you can fit a multi-row cooler if you want, for packaging purposes. Not sure on the TDI, but the RRC V8 ran the auto box fluid through the radiator end tank to act as a cooler/warmer (speeds warm up with engine temp, and cools to radiator temperature when getting too hot) and then into the air cooler in front of the rad. No thermostat on these, just run on the low pressure lines, so hoses can be made up with decent quality hydraulic hoses, barbed fittings and good hose clamps. You can of course make up proper hydraulic lines, but personally think they are a little overkill for most people that aren't hung up on tree stumps every weekend.

Need to make a bracket up on the chassis to take the auto box shifter cable.

I think that's fairly close to the complex bits... the rest is cut and weld into position, and join up all the hoses.

Oh, and check your converter depth against the Ashcroft site, before bolting it up and crunching your oil pump :)

Ta!

Tdis already have an engine oil cooler in the rad, so unfortunately I wouldn't be able to use that option. Pity, as it'd be a neat installation and would warm the oil in cold conditions. Any idea how much longer the ZF is than a short LT77? I'm trying to work out the practicality of throwing that and your old BW into the 109 (ie., if I have enough room if I move the front cross member). Any idea about the flywheel housing?

Ideally, you could try to find a ZF from a 50th Aniv. Defender as that has the correct length. The length difference is about 45 mm. I was offered one when said 50th was converted to an ECU controlled version from a DII and that worked very, very good.

2013-07-2%20%20Mazda%20in%20de%20110%20C

We used said ZF behind a 3.5 Tdi Mazda in a 110 CSW and for the box oilcooler a BMW donated his piece of art that was fitted in front of the radiator.

2013-07-2%20%20Mazda%20in%20de%20110%20C

The kick down ass. can be taken from any 300 Tdi auto box set-up, Disco I or RRC. We made our own.

The tunnel covers for an Autobox are serious money but we made one from aluminium..

Have Fun.