300 Tdi/2.5 NAD wiring compatibility

hello all,

Im about 4 years into my rebuild of my 90 (no sniggering at the back) and I've got a couple of questions, the bulkhead is getting close to being prepped for hot zinc spraying/paint, and as such I'm looking towards wiring fo the bulkhead. i junked the NAD engine loom and got a 200 Tdi loom, basically because I didn't want/need wires for things like the EGR valve and potentiometer on the injection pump. The original bulkhead loom has been chopped about over the years and as such i want to get a new one. i also want the possibility to be able to use blade fuses, thus the bulkhead loom for a 300Tdi seems like the obvious choice. my question is, (assuming the bulkhead and engine looms work with each other) will the 300Tdi bulkhead loom with with the old instruments, or would I need to change those as well?

also, since the bulkhead i have is a Td5 one, there are a few extra holes in the bulkhead that need plugging. I have various plastic plugs on order for the larger ones, AC pipes etc but there are numerous non round, (ie elliptical holes caused by two panels having holes in that do not line up) in the drivers side footwell that obviously, you cant plug with a round bung. So what do you recommend to do about it? what does land rover do when it needs to plug holes it has seemingly drilled for no reason?

many thanks

(i would post pictures, but the WiFi here is so tiddle poor that i can hardly stay online long enough, let alone upload images, i will try later in the week....)

300tdi looms use plastic plugs/sockets, 200tdi & earlier use moulded rubber plugs/sockets, they will not connect to each other without changing one looms conectors to match, easier to either use a new 200tdi loom from autosparks [not cheap] or change connectors to the later type so they match up, wiring colour codes are common.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much Western, oof, £400 is a fair old bit for some wires, I think I'll have to go with the looms I have and hope it all works :unsure: perhaps i can add a 200 Tdi fuse box with blade fuses in if there's enough length in the wires to be able to do that...

When I made up mine I more or less made large parts of the various looms from scratch. They are so simple to do it really makes more sense tan buying ready made ones at silly money. Plus you can use connectors of your choice and run extra circuits for non-standard bits. However, it is definitely worth using the standard colours if at all possible. For the blade fuse box I pilfered one off a Discovery 1 200 tdi as it just seemed to work perfectly with the defender circuits, while having loads of extra space for new stuff like heated screens and compressors etc.

The original loom would be fine, with just a reroute and lengthening a little for the temperature sender wire.

As for blanking the bulkhead holes you can't find grommets for, I'd recommend welding in some discs or ovals made from steel sheet before it gets zinc sprayed - if you stick to the old loom, which would be easiest, then you can see which holes are unused and just keep it as originally designed.