broken crankshaft tdi 300

eyalski

post-2105-1164231907_thumb.jpgpost-2105-1164231861_thumb.jpgthese pictures are of my defender 97's crankshaft,it happened with no alert ,oil pressure was good no sign of heating ,and it was ordinary ride on the road while i suddenly heard knocks from the engine and immidiatly stoped the car,and tow it to a garage.

the engine clocked 330000 k'm =200000 miles when it happened. my mechanic replaced the crankshaft all the bearings ,oil pump, clutch and flywheel and now it runs again.should i be concern about it any more?

Wow, you were lucky! If it had let go you would have been looking at getting a new short engine, so it's a bit of a mystery. If it took 200,000 miles to break, I guess you might expect the new one to be good for that sort of distance again. I'd be worried about what caused it to break though. If you don't know, it could happen again. :(

Les. :)

I haven't seen a crank break in that area before, it's either been hit very hard at sometime or possibly a manufacturing fault thats decide to show, looking at the left picture, the crack may have propogated from the bearing surface undercut area, it passes right through it, so could have started in there.