TDI 300 Knocking

Hi Folks, I have a 27ft Motor Crusier with 2x TDI300 power units. The boat was removed from the water last October with both engines running perfectly and has been lying ashore until now. Over the last few days I have been de-winterising the boat ready for the new season and one of the engines had developed a loud metallic knock. Upon inspection I found 2x bent push rods on 7 & 2 which I have replaced and checked valve clearances. All still set up 0.2mm. I have cranked engine by hand with no issues and checked cam belt (new last season), all still lined up and tensioned perfectly. The engine is still knocking loudly at tick over. I have not tried introducing revs for fear of damage. I have also cracked all injectors without joy so can rule out injector knock. I am slightly bewildered as this issue appears to have happened whilst laid up. Any suggestions??

300tdi - have you checked the timing of the engine? i.e. do all the marks line up? - do you know if the engine have got the later modified cam timing sprocket with the flange on it?

Bent pushrods sounds odd without any other evidence for why its happened... is the rocker shaft and pedestal brackets all ok?

Hi Folks, I have a 27ft Motor Crusier with 2x TDI300 power units. The boat was removed from the water last October with both engines running perfectly and has been lying ashore until now. Over the last few days I have been de-winterising the boat ready for the new season and one of the engines had developed a loud metallic knock. Upon inspection I found 2x bent push rods on 7 & 2 which I have replaced and checked valve clearances. All still set up 0.2mm. I have cranked engine by hand with no issues and checked cam belt (new last season), all still lined up and tensioned perfectly. The engine is still knocking loudly at tick over. I have not tried introducing revs for fear of damage. I have also cracked all injectors without joy so can rule out injector knock. I am slightly bewildered as this issue appears to have happened whilst laid up. Any suggestions??

Sounds like it might have 'hydraulic-ed' from maybe diesel, water, or oil laying on the piston or trapped in the inlet. If this is the case then the metallic tapping will be the result of slightly bent conrods or cam follower damage. Are these raw water cooled or heat exchanger cooled ?