Vacuum pump question

Anderzander

I saw this on Glen Coyne's site and wondered what people's thoughts here were?

200TDi vacuum pumps - had a few people asking me if they can take these off and fit a blanking plate, on Series vehicles with no brake servo. You can actually buy ready-made blanking plates on Ebay, and very pretty they look. Only problem is that the vacuum pump runs off the oil pump drive gear which is hollow, with the shaft of the vacuum pump plugging the upper end (there is an O ring in there if you look closely). Take off the pump and you will lose quite a lot of oil pressure, as the oil pump shaft is a fairly slack fit in the lower half of the gear.

All you actually need to do is plug the hose inlet for the vacuum pump. That won't do it any harm at all. Incidentally if you don't either connect the pump to a servo or plug the inlet it will pressurise the crankcase and blow oil through all the seals and gaskets.

I'd actually blanked mine off - never thinking it fulfilled a stabilising function? Seems an odd thing to for the oil pump to be a slack fit ?

You can do that, and you could also remove the plastic fins from inside the vacuum pump so it's not trying to create a vacuum, just idling. I'd do that and fit a cap over the hose connection rather than make up a blanking plate to replace the top cover - it's just easier.

On a 19J I removed the vanes, then put a short length of silicone hose on the outlet with a stainless blanking plug in it. I've still got the vanes somewhere as spares for mine!

Your other option is to just upgrade to servo brakes and use the pump.