Discovery I - valves - help!

sinistra

HI! I'm Magda, I'm from Poland and I have LR Discovery I 1995y. V8. I have problem with engine of my Disco. My mechanic said that it is necessary to adjust the valves in the engine. I need parameter settings valves. I can not find it in the Haynes book and the renowned repair service is too expensive for me.
Can anybody help me?

Welcome :)

I am pretty sure all the V8s had hydraulic tappets, even the 3.5, so you may need a different mechanic if he wants to adjust them :)

What was the problem -- a top end rattle that sounds like a tappet rattle? If so it probably will be, but it's not something that can be adjusted - the hydraulic tappets do start to go and it is a major job to replace them. Others on here will know more about it than me, but it's often not a good sign for the general health of the engine.

OMG.I do not know at this at all. Reportedly valves can be burned but may only require adjustment. These parameters are not generally available to ordinary mechanics. Only services have this knowledge. My mechanic can do it for my LR - check the engine, adjust the valves and change them. But without settings it is not possible.

OMG.I do not know at this at all. Reportedly valves can be burned but may only require adjustment. These parameters are not generally available to ordinary mechanics. Only services have this knowledge. My mechanic can do it for my LR - check the engine, adjust the valves and change them. But without settings it is not possible.

If that is what you're mechanic told you, he is not only an idiot but also a liar. Find another mechanic!