Bulk head Vent rust

Hi there guys,

New here, I have owned a 2001 90 Defender and a 2005 110 defender both TD5, both back in SA. I attempted to listen to the missus and go for a small car here but while back in SA on holiday I got in my old mans Landy and decided there was nothing else for me.

Anyway, long story short I have found a 90 I quite like, however, I have noticed some rust on the bulkhead vents, the usual spots to be honest. I would really appreciate second opinions please.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

image_5.jpg

The bulkhead on my blue 90 was much worse than that. I was considering replacing the whole thing, but when I enquired with a good Landrover mechanic his response was "Depends how bad is bad, I'd rather repair the old one than replace the whole thing. So I took it to him to assess the job. He repaired it in the end, and made a pretty good job of it too.

So much so I got him to also repair the series 2 bulkhead which wasn't as bad, but needed doing. Both done for less cost than replacing the 90 bulkhead. Well impressed.

The bulkhead on my blue 90 was much worse than that. I was considering replacing the whole thing, but when I enquired with a good Landrover mechanic his response was "Depends how bad is bad, I'd rather repair the old one than replace the whole thing. So I took it to him to assess the job. He repaired it in the end, and made a pretty good job of it too.

So much so I got him to also repair the series 2 bulkhead which wasn't as bad, but needed doing. Both done for less cost than replacing the 90 bulkhead. Well impressed.

Hey Tony, thanks for the reply. That is reassuring. How much did it cost roughly? I know that it will vary but I want to get a rough idea in my head to weigh up the pros and cons of buying it.

The only spot that concerns me is the top rail behind the left windscreen bracket - it has swollen very high and lifted the seal. That section would need cutting out and welding. The rest just needs cleaning back to good metal and repainting, with a liberal application of cavity wax internally. And, of course, the mirror arms need repainting black while it's in bits. ;)