How do i get hydraulics?

Countax

Following my post about buying or borrowing a log splitter in the classifieds section, i have acquired a log splitter that fits on the back of a tractor. For now i can use my neighbours Kabuta, but long term i would like to get a hydraulic source fitted either to my 200TDi D90 or on my Series 3 SWB diesel sat doing nothing in my garden. I know absolutely zero about hydraulics, so can if be done? if so how? All i know is that the splitter has a spool valve fitted????

Thx,

Nigel

Some information regarding operating pressure and required flow rates would help.

The simplest/cheapest, would be to use a power steering system. This may, or may not, provide enough pressure and flow.

Pressure determine how much force the hydraulic actuator in the log splitter will produce.

Flow determines how fast the hydraulic actuator will operate.

Does the log splitter have a pressure guage fitted?

If so, the guage will most likely be connected to measure the system pressure. So observing the pressure while splitting some difficult to split logs will answer the pressure question.

What size is the hydraulic actuator (bore and stroke)?

What size hoses/lines (inside diam) are connected to the actuator and directional control valve?

What size pump (look at the serial/nameplate ) is on your neighbours Kabuta? Is the speed satisfactory/too slow/too fast with this pump.

These will provide a guide to required flow.

Source a pto driven pump and suitable reservoir for the series. Plumb it in, couple of quick couplings, et voila.

Alternatively get a small hydraulic pump and resevoir (ex power steering setup?) and mount it on the log splitter together with a electric motor driving the pump via aV belt and have a semi portable setup without the noise!.

Thx for the replies. I will try to get some data on the splitter ram & Kabuta pump over the weekend.

How does the ebay bit fit on a series? Is the missing linkage hard to source?

Nigel

As you saw from my reply on your previous post I've got PTO on the 130 for my splitter. I went down the PTO powered pump and on board tank. Its probably going to be easier todo on the series due to bits being on ebay regularly.

The other optrion depending on how much oil your splitter needs is one of the self contained breaker hydraulic packs. wehich will supply about 25-30lpm. can't remember the operating pressure. these can be picked up on ebay too.

Hi Nigel.

The pump for the series fits onto the rear output of the transfer box, in the same place as an overdrive would fit (round plate held by 8 nuts/studs under the middle seat)

I have a Dowty hydraulic pump for a series that is currently redundant, i got it with the intention of fitting a hydraulic winch, but have since sourced a complete pto winch, i have never tried it, but it is complete, open to offers...

I will be in devon/somerset from the 23rd dec till the 1st jan if that helps

Cheers

Hi Nigel.

The pump for the series fits onto the rear output of the transfer box, in the same place as an overdrive would fit (round plate held by 8 nuts/studs under the middle seat)

I have a Dowty hydraulic pump for a series that is currently redundant, i got it with the intention of fitting a hydraulic winch, but have since sourced a complete pto winch, i have never tried it, but it is complete, open to offers...

Cheers

Nigel

The Kubota seems to have an auxillary hydraulic implement outlet (according the the manual its an option - we will have to see tomorrow!!)

But it states max flow of 15litres, max pressure of 14.2MPa, 145kgf/cm2 (2060psi)

oilit

Hi Nigel.

Cheers

Hedley,

Sounds interesting. I pick up the splitter tomorrow and will see what connections it has. Once i know that, I will PM you this weekend regarding the pump.

Nigel

Nigel

The Kubota seems to have an auxillary hydraulic implement outlet (according the the manual its an option - we will have to see tomorrow!!)

But it states max flow of 15litres, max pressure of 14.2MPa, 145kgf/cm2 (2060psi)

oilit

2060 PSI !!!! Bloody hell, we better make sure we get the connections right and then stand well back.

At that pressure we could just point the oil at the logs and blast them apart.

Nigel

2060 PSI !!!! Bloody hell, we better make sure we get the connections right and then stand well back.

Nigel

if you want to go for the hedley pump, depending upon where he is going to be in devon, we may be able to arrange a drop at my parents and get them to bring it up next time they come up or i go down...

Nigel

I really hope thats a joke!! <_< All you hoses need to be profesionally made to the british standard. Hydraulics are bloody lethal if not installed properly. Don't worry abot what couplings are on the end of your splitter, quick release couplings don't cost an arm and a leg. they often come up on ebay brand new.

I really hope thats a joke!! <_< All you hoses need to be profesionally made to the british standard. Hydraulics are bloody lethal if not installed properly. Don't worry abot what couplings are on the end of your splitter, quick release couplings don't cost an arm and a leg. they often come up on ebay brand new.

Matt,

yes it was a joke. But if this is my last post then you know we got it wrong. :unsure:

Nigel

i think you might be able to use an electric/ hydraulic power steering pump from a peugeot car, i remember reading in one of the landy rags about a bloke who used one to run a milemarker hydro winch... you could probably find one in a breakers for £25......

if the flow rate isn't great enough, there must be loads of likely candidates in comercial breakers yards...

Lol going to post a pic of ya splitter then prove ya still in land of the living??? :D

Still alive.

The splitters hoses are female connections and the kabuta looks like its male connections into the pump so i need to get some adaptors.

The spool valve has one connection marked 'P' and the other marked 'T'. Anyone know which one goes to the pump flow and which one to the pump return?

Nigel

Still alive.

The splitters hoses are female connections and the kabuta looks like its male connections into the pump so i need to get some adaptors.

The spool valve has one connection marked 'P' and the other marked 'T'. Anyone know which one goes to the pump flow and which one to the pump return?

Nigel

Right, This isn't gospel but,"P" is usually Pressure i.e feed from pump and "T" is Tank = return line.

Your right usually tractors have female quick release and the implement has the male. its worth getting the dust covers too if you are buyin bits just keeps ya fittings nice and clean when not in use.

Matt