td5 erratic temp gauge and heating up

Hi guys,

driving up on motor way cruising at 100km/h when suddenly the temp gauge went in the red then back to normal.. so i stop over had a look under the bonnet and was low on coolant. waited a while then top it up and away i go after a while it did the same but this time smell of over heating engine and start to lose power then got power again. feel like it was restricted and a bit of misfiring.

The temp guage went all the way to cold. Stop the landy and started her after a while temp was back to normal. was only a few mile from home just crawl back home.

have'nt check coolant level again as it's still hot.

1. could it be the thermostat?

2. water pump gone? ( i was getting heat in the cabin all the time)

3. could i have done damage driving with the engine over heating!!! there was no smoke under the bonnet but could see a bit of steam coming through the expansion tank and a hiss sound.

Or any idea you guys might have!!!

I'll have a proper look in the morning to have a better idea. but if any of you guys have any advice i'll greatly appreciate it.

Landy is a 2004 td5.

Thierry

I had a similar thing happen to me (MY2000 td5).

When the coolant level gets low enough to make the temperature gauge move there will also probably be an airlock in the system.

I had to fill mine, drive a little, refill a couple of times before I could get the coolant and temperature to be stable.

Of course the question is - how did the coolant get so low? For mine I'm pretty sure the pressure valve is gone and the system is running open.

ttfn

Matthew

Had a look at the landy today and turns out that the radiator was leaking and the intercooler core was falling apart same as the radiator.

Full of oil in the intercooler. Looking like both will need replacement.

I took the thermostat out you guys know how i could check it? i've but it in hot water to see if it's open or not but no much seems to be happening.

Will replace the water pump as well just in case

the turbo was leaking quiet a bit of oil so had a look at the blades by grabbing it to see if there's any play and indeed there was loads of play!!!

As its a new landy to me not sure of the history....but any advice on the turbo.

While i'm at it, i thinking of replacing the head gasket as i drove it on low coolant quiet a bit hot yesterday you guys think its a good idea?

Thanks

Had same problem on mine had it a while turned out to be a leaking water pump. Still not sorted as I am getting a new cambelt fitted at same time.

Just keep topping up water every couple of days make sure level doesn't get too low or when you top you can get airlocks in system and overheating.

Check around the waterpump for signs of rust

Hi radiator and intercooler both crack so they are out. Water out as well didn't look very healthy. Thermostat see to be stuck so all that going to get replaced. Head is off as well for HG replacement in between minds about getting the head skim or not

Thierry