Upgrading Alternator wiring

Hi guys

As you may know i have just converted my 90 from Def 200tdi to Disco 200tdi but was previously a 2.5td, the wiring looks like it's been upgraded before for using a 65amp alternator when it was a Def 200tdi there are 3 wires 2 thick brown wires and 1 thin brown and white wire and i have just bought a 120amp alternator kit with even thicker wiring, the kit comprises of a 120amp alternator and a length of thick red wire with eye connectors fitted.

Any idea' s how I go about wiring the new alternator in as there isn't any wiring diagram with it.

when my 100amp alt was fitted we left the original TD wiring connected [with new end terminals to suit the new alternator] & added a single much thicker cable from alternator output to starter motor connection, it's been fine since fitted over 15 years ago.

alternator terminal diagram in my reply in http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=82337&hl=%2Balternator+%2Bconnections

As western says, the length of cable in those britpart 120amp alternator kits it to go from the battery +ve at the alternator to the battery +ve connection at the starter motor. The OE wiring from the starter to the battery will already be of sufficient capacity to handle the increased output from the alternator

As western says, the length of cable in those britpart 120amp alternator kits it to go from the battery +ve at the alternator to the battery +ve connection at the starter motor. The OE wiring from the starter to the battery will already be of sufficient capacity to handle the increased output from the alternator

Are right so it's just a matter of connecting the old wiring to the new alternator then

• Like 1