1995 300TDi Can't Operate Lift Pump Lever

roberspierre

I am having power problems on my 1995 Discovery 300tdi. One of the items to check is the Lift Fuel pump, which I changed. However, even is I put cylinder #1 on top, the fuel pump press again the cam a few mm and thus, deactivates the lift pump lever and I can not use the lever to purge the line. I got a second lift pump and it is the same. I am missing something?

I think if you're trying to manually operate the lift pump the camshaft operated lever needs to be "disengaged" from the cam on the shaft so that the diaphragm is free to be activated by the hand lever. If the cam operated lever has the diaphragm pressed up the hand lever isn't going to do anything

This is one of the many reasons why I replaced my mechanical pump with an electric unit when it was up for replacement, the electric pump is located next to the sedimenter filter and wired to the FIP solenoid, turn on the ignition and hey presto the replaced fuel filter is purged in about 3 seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're trying to prime the fuel system, I've always found it a little futile using the priming lever.

What I usually do is pre fill the fuel filter with fuel, start the engine, then nip around and open the bleed screw as the engine is running it pushes any air out the top without you needing to do the pumping.