Fitted a new hub/bearing to the D2 - failed on trst drive

reb78

I fitted a genuine new hub to the d2 yesterday and it failed on the test drive, 5 mins in, squealing, three amigos on, nanocom saying sensor reading low and intermittent. It looks like the outer bearing has overheated as the hub body is blue all around the outer edge.

I followed urban panzers online guide to the letter http://www.discovery2.co.uk/fronthub.html

All torque settings were correct (including the 490nm on the stake nut).

What could i have done to cause this during fitting? I put the old hub back on for the time being, and thats ok for now (was trying to perform preventative maintenance as the old one has a little noticeable play in it but as yet hasnt caused any issues)

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason for a bearing to get that hot is severe friction, so its either lack of lubricant or a massive bearing failure or both.

I don't know if you can grease the D2 bearings yourself or they are a completely sealed unit but it sounds like you are due a replacement to me.

They're a sealed unit.

I'm guessing it was a 50 quid ebay job? Get a replacement, and try avoid those in future.

Genuine are now ~ 400 quid so really not worth fitting.

Timken who made the OEM units have stopped making these, but some places still have a few in stock at about 250 quid.

Britpart do an 'oem' one for about 150 and tbh I've only heard good things about them.

Most of the chinese knock off ones (and also bearmach ones btw) have only 55 teeth on the reluctor rings instead of 60 and cause havoc with the ABS/TC, so avoid if not fitting in matched pairs/all four.