Co driver wanted: Morocco 4x4 trip, Oct 2016

I'm planning a three vehicle, six person 4x4 trip to Morocco in October, but one of the participants has had to drop out. We could go with five, but it'll be a drain on the group.

Two of us made a similar trip in 2014 so the transfers and border should be fine, the intention is to cross from Portsmouth to Bilbao, have one overnight in Spain and get into Northern Morocco quite quickly. We'll travel south slowly to see the Dade's Gorges, Cirque du Jafar and cross the High Atlas. I'm planning to head west from M'hamid to Foum Zguid, spending a dark skies night in the desert as the highlight of the trip.

Departure will be Sat 8th October, returning Sun 23 October.

I know it's short notice but we need to be mindful of the group dynamic. The other participants are pretty easy-going, outdoorsy but not "boozy lads". We have a lab equipment salesman, a rail manager, a transport manager, a mechanic and a logistics administrator. Someone with medical knowledge, Arabic or "better-than-schoolboy" French would be helpful, but we survived the last trip without problems.

To keep it interesting we're taking two old LandRover Ninetys and a Volvo C303. Cruising will be hot, noisy and about 60mph.

Costs will be split sensibly between us, probably around £1100 each including ferries, fuel and food. There's no profit for anyone and no promises of organisation or success. Backup plan is via the other two cars.

Contact me, John, on 07779 081520 if you're interested.

• 2 months later...

Back to the top - we filled the place and now another has dropped out. The trip leaves this Friday for two weeks, but now the ferries are paid for so this is a cheap opportunity to see the desert!

Be in Portsmouth on Friday 7th Oct for 8pm, we'll drop you back on Sunday 23rd at 8pm. The Volvo is going back to the Lake District so pickup is possible most places. Come and join us, it'll be a giggle!