Oil & Grease

Paul64

UJ is Universal joint, and there's one at each enf of the prop (usually), they permit continued drive from the transfer case to the axle/s regardless of suspension position.

If you have non-sealed type, thene there will be a grease nipple on each UJ, and then anothjer for the sliding joint.

Picture of UJ, and it's location:-

med_gallery_2_167_508702.jpg

Les. :)

They sell engine oils in any OBI which you will find in all big towns (orange writing). It is mainly a DIY superstore but they have quite a big selection of basic auto maintenance stuff too. So long as you know the SAE you want (10/40??) then you will be able to pick up an oil. They certainly sell Castrol there so play it safe and buy that

UJ is Universal joint, and there's one at each enf of the prop (usually), they permit continued drive from the transfer case to the axle/s regardless of suspension position.

If you have non-sealed type, thene there will be a grease nipple on each UJ, and then anothjer for the sliding joint.

Picture of UJ, and it's location:-

Les. :)

So, I have greased one UJ and one sliding joint at the front end of the propshaft. I will do the back section this weekend.

Thanks for your help. Paul.

They sell engine oils in any OBI which you will find in all big towns (orange writing). It is mainly a DIY superstore but they have quite a big selection of basic auto maintenance stuff too. So long as you know the SAE you want (10/40??) then you will be able to pick up an oil. They certainly sell Castrol there so play it safe and buy that

Not heard of that company before, but I will look out for it. The ones I have used in the past are Ratio, Baumarkt and Praktiker.

Cheers, Paul.

i use JCB blue waterproof grease for UJ's and bearings, its realy thick and sticky, and seams to repel water realy well...

engine oil... i use ASDA own brand diesel engine oil, 15/40 grade, its about £7.50 for 5 litres, i know its a bit carp, but i change it every 4,000 miles and am of the opinion that its better to use a cheaper oil and change it more regularly, than a good oil that you don't want to chuck out until its done 10,000 miles...

there is a lot of rubbish spoken and printed on the subject of engine oil, most of the people who insist you use mega expensive oil usually work for oil companies... oil degrades when you use your engine, it suffers heat damage, absorbs water, gets contaminated, and the molecules suffer chain cleavage that over time robs the oil of many of its favorable properties.. even realy expensive oil degrades in just the same way...

use what you like, but bin it after 5,000 miles.... ;)

i use JCB blue waterproof grease for UJ's and bearings, its realy thick and sticky, and seams to repel water realy well...

engine oil... i use ASDA own brand diesel engine oil, 15/40 grade, its about £7.50 for 5 litres, i know its a bit carp, but i change it every 4,000 miles and am of the opinion that its better to use a cheaper oil and change it more regularly, than a good oil that you don't want to chuck out until its done 10,000 miles...

there is a lot of rubbish spoken and printed on the subject of engine oil, most of the people who insist you use mega expensive oil usually work for oil companies... oil degrades when you use your engine, it suffers heat damage, absorbs water, gets contaminated, and the molecules suffer chain cleavage that over time robs the oil of many of its favorable properties.. even realy expensive oil degrades in just the same way...

use what you like, but bin it after 5,000 miles.... ;)

Thanks, sounds like sensible advice to me. Cheers, Paul

i use ASDA own brand diesel engine oil, 15/40 grade, its about £7.50 for 5 litres, i know its a bit carp,

Cheap doesn't always equal carp, just like expensive doesn't always equal quality. What's the API spec of Asda's own oil? I know Halfords own brand stuff is good quality, better than some big expensive brand names.