Strange oil weep

reb78

I;ve got a strange weep of engine oil on the 200tdi. It seems to be traveling along one of the water pump studs.

Bad pic below, but its an awkward spot to photograph

3800B3A1-7177-4C1C-A618-178C38C0580C_zps

I've pinched the photos below from one of Les's how to threads to show the stud more clearly. Its the stud that i think Les must have removed to the far left of the photo (on mine at least, its a stud with a nut rather than a bolt:

med_gallery_2_301_1382903.jpg

The photo below (another of Les's) shows where the stud goes through to the block - its the hole on the far left of the water pump attachment again:

med_gallery_2_301_305298.jpg

I wouldnt have thought this stud would go through into a part of the block that reaches an oil way? Is there another problem here? Would I get away with removing it without a strip down and applying some threadlock to the other end to seal it? Or should i just leave it until the next timing belt change?

It could be a leak between the block and timing chest as that bolt goes through the cover and chest into the block. I know the area between block and chest does have oil in it so I suggest you leak is there and tracking down the stud. If it was me I would pull the stud clean it put some sealant round it and put it back. Then next time you have the timing belt off replace the block to chest gasket while your at it.

Mike