2.5NA coolant/oil gallery plugs?

Trying to positively ID these:

No. 1: about 2in northeast of where the dipstick goes into the block. It has an oversized copper washer, the plug seems to be fractionally smaller than M22x1.5 - is this the coolant drain and if so what size/pitch is it?

post-4308-1192671708_thumb.jpg

No. 2: between two of the head bolts, right opposite the No. 4 intake runner close(ish) to the stock water temp sender (I think), the plug is brass

post-4308-1192671724_thumb.jpg

FWIW I'm trying to find lower and upper coolant locations where I can plumb in a convection-type electric heater for winter... would love a Webasto/Eberspacher diesel one but they're about $1500 here :angry: - leccy ones are only $90 but don't come with pumps else I'd put it in line with the heater

TIA for light shed

John H.

--

On a civvy engine the water drain plug is higher up the block, made of brass, and is 13mm (1/2") (series engines have a tap there. The plug you show could be oil cooler return pipe fitting/turbo oil return, and looks like it goes straight into the sump.

Picture No2 does go into the water jacket of the head - not sure of the purpose of the plug, but I have seen them before.

Les.

Yes, that's the drain plug - they are usually very tight. The 'freeze plugs' are known in this country as core plugs. If you are doing restoration work on the engine then it might be worthwhile replacing them. They are very cheap and easy to fit. One leaking is a major pain.

Les.

Thanks Les I'm just doing routine maintenance at the moment - my interest in the freeze/core plug is that I think it's where folks fit immersion-type electric block heaters in this part of the world

I think I recall from the timing case inner gasket tutorial that they just pry out? and re-fit with some kind of sealant?

Thanks Les I'm just doing routine maintenance at the moment - my interest in the freeze/core plug is that I think it's where folks fit immersion-type electric block heaters in this part of the world

I think I recall from the timing case inner gasket tutorial that they just pry out? and re-fit with some kind of sealant?

Yep, stab in screwdriver, a pilot hole helps, then lever out or hammer in chisel to center, or sometimes using a punch on 1 side will pop them out. Clean up hole in block apply blue hylomer or red hermetite non setting sealant to edge of core plug. Hammer in using a socket as a punch until edge of plug is level/flush with edge of block hole.

looks like a 13mm 12-pt - like the brake caliper mount bolts

Doh! better get my eyes tested - for the record it's a regular 6-pt 1/2in

Very coarse thread though

And conveniently located so it pours on to the engine mount, producing a pretty 270* green fountain with diameter greater than that of the largest available bucket

Can anyone confirm the P/Ns and/or sizes for the 2.5NA core plugs? I have found a heater listed for "1958-up 4-cyl" but I suspect that's only applicable to the 2.25 - the listed size is 1-15/16in (49mm) whereas mine seem to be at least 52mm

Did the core plug size change between the 2.25 and 2.5 blocks?

I would think you should be able to find a frost plug heater.

Other options are lower radiator hose heaters or coolant cirulation heaters. Normally the coolant circulation heater would go in the cabin heater line. Last option is a glue on sump pad heater.

What country are you in?? If North america, look at the Zerostart catalog, http://www.zerostart.com/pub_AppGuides.asp If Canada, I have a lower rad heater you can have for mail cost, though it is probably cheaper/easier to go to a store.

Thanks, yes I checked the Zerostart application guide already - it lists 3100070 for "1958-UP L4 GAS/DIESEL" but I suspect that only covers 2.25 since the 2.5 doesn't officially exist in North America - and the stated plug size (1-15/16) appears a little too small. They don't appear to list anything bigger than 50mm.

I may resort to a lower hose or circulation heater - but my ideal would be to fit a plug heater now while I have the alt and front exhaust pipe off that side - eventually I'd like to fit a Webasto circulation heater and just have the plug heater as a backup.

Thanks, yes I checked the Zerostart application guide already - it lists 3100070 for "1958-UP L4 GAS/DIESEL" but I suspect that only covers 2.25 since the 2.5 doesn't officially exist in North America - and the stated plug size (1-15/16) appears a little too small. They don't appear to list anything bigger than 50mm.

I may resort to a lower hose or circulation heater - but my ideal would be to fit a plug heater now while I have the alt and front exhaust pipe off that side - eventually I'd like to fit a Webasto circulation heater and just have the plug heater as a backup.

How much too small? You say 2 mm? I'm sure that would be within tolerance of those things.

http://www.britrest.com/Winter/heaters.htm

Block heaters

After a lot of searching we have found suitable block heaters for all older series and for the newer Defender diesels

These heaters go direct into the water jacket - not the bottom hose with is very inefficient - so bad we will not sell them

Made in Canada, tested by us!

Defender 2.5/ 2.25 diesel / petrol = BRHTR02 $89.95

Also http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-8435-bl...25l-diesel.aspx

BLOCK HEATER 2.5L DIESEL

SKU: 8803609

Price: $110.25

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up question - can anyone suggest which of the 3 core plug locations would be 'best' for a heater? Does one of them have more clearance / a bigger chamber behind it for the heater element? any issues of better/worse circulation?

fwiw I tried britannica restorations but they never got back to me

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update for the record - I ordered a Zerostart (aka Temro) 600W 'freeze plug heater' P/N 3100087 and it fits. I had to use the middle core plug (the front one is partially obscured). Size is 2.06in (52.3mm) - it's in the agricultural section of the application guide under Ford.