Engine Alternatives for a dead 1.8 Freelander

pjfrith

I have been given a 1.8 Petrol freelander that has died.

I've been told the engine's totally shot, the head and block are beyond repair,

and the only answer is a new 1.8 engine..

Given the reliability of the 1.8's I'm loathed to go down that route.

What I'm wondering is, what other engines have been fitted into Freelanders

and what is involved in the transplant.

I initially thought about swapping for a V6, along with the relevant wireing/ecu's etc.

Then I thought, how feasible would it be to fit a diesel lump in using some kind of adapter plate or whatever to mate it to the gearbox.

Are such things available, or possible???

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Quit possible but much easier and cheaper to just buy a V6 one.

I always wanted to fit a 2.0lt turbo rover tomcat engine but the gearbox is different apparently.

the 1.8 is the same as the lotus which now runs a MR2 engine but the likely hod of that fitting is very slim

you can pick up 1.8's from dealers very very cheap they just have a car raped round them :D or try the 4x4 scrap yards for a replacement engine.

I have a PTP engine which although it was the 140bhp head and gaskets which was grate fun.

I take it your liners have slipped as well as the head going

find a scrap mgf or mgzr 170 with the vvti engine in it, variable cam timing and 170bhp on tap?

2.9 24v cossie lump? 200 bhp

as long as you either rebuild it with the newer laminated steel H/G it should be fine, just keep an eye on the inlet manifold rubber O rings, as this is where the water leaks from and causes the engine to die.

Just buy a TD4 and you have one - no messing around with re-builds etc!!!!!!!

Who wants a Diesel? I'm talking about a proper BMW engine with a decent gearbox and rear diff :P

Like the cossie idea though, old V6 Granadas are dirt cheap although most seem to be auto :(

not a problem with the v6 cossie, as the bolt pattern is the same as the 12v v6 (essentially the same block), just keep an eye out for timing chain wear (over £500 to replace chains and tensioners), so it should be easy enough to find/fabricate an daptor plate to fit the f/lander box?