P38A 4pin diff insted D1 2pin 24splin

Dikiy

vinny

Comics? What do You mean?

Why not just use a 4 pin centre in a standard Discovery diff? Ashcrofts do them.

Yes I know about Ashcroft. Also I know about 4 pin diff from D90 rear axel and ARB, KAM, Truetrack and its... I'll go with ARB in front in future, but now I have already ARB in rear and 2 rear assembled diffs from P38A and I want temporary install 4pin diff (must be stronger than stock 2 pin) to the front axel.

Still waiting for answer Yes or No otherwise will try to swap in nearest weekends :P

vinny

Comics? What do You mean?

Yes I know about Ashcroft. Also I know about 4 pin diff from D90 rear axel and ARB, KAM, Truetrack and its... I'll go with ARB in front in future, but now I have already ARB in rear and 2 rear assembled diffs from P38A and I want temporary install 4pin diff (must be stronger than stock 2 pin) to the front axel.

Still waiting for answer Yes or No otherwise will try to swap in nearest weekends :P

Hi,

you can't fit the whole diff, you can fit the 4 pin diff centre to the 90/D1 diff casing but you need a new crown wheel and pinion, TBH100050,

Here is the results:

REM-1&REM-2:

More space will need for P38A diff casing. Diff casing will be machined to the same diameters as 2pin diff.

REM-3:

Difference 3mm between "upper" bearings position

REM-4:

Difference 6mm between crown wheels position

The major problem is to compensate 6mm difference by moving diff assembly to matching crown wheel position will cause changing of bearing positions. The "upper" will move approx 3mm inside bearing case (no problem with thread) and "lower" will move approx 6mm outside of case- this is the problem, because not enough thread for diff lock ring. This problem can't be a solved by simple machining but I hope to find solution how to move bearing closer to diff casing.

post-1651-1204538115_thumb.jpg

post-1651-1204538138_thumb.jpg

post-1651-1204538150_thumb.jpg

post-1651-1204538159_thumb.jpg

post-1651-1204538168_thumb.jpg

Dikiy,

I take it it works then :) It looks like a lot of work to do though !

Mo

Exactly - and the P38 diff isn't exactly reknowned for long life either.

Before anybody says "it must be squaddie proof because the Wolfs use it" - check how many they break :unsure:

Nice bit of work though :)