A-frame issues in 2007 MY Defenders

For some strange reason (saving some money, possibly), LR decided to replace the traditionale brackets for the A-frame, the ones that are bolted to the chassis, with welded brackets.

Now they have found out that with time (but not much time has passed, one year or so...) the welded brackets may not be up to the job, resulting in the rear axle going astray, with inevitable disappointment of the driver, who finds himself driving a car with a will of its own.

It seems that the first vehicles are exempted, as probably LR still had some of the old brackets as stock, and that later ones are exempted too, as they reverted to the old system; in between, from VIN 736064 up to VIN 752152, all defenders should be inspected and, if the case be, rectified, by welding additional patches to the already welded brackets.

The service action should be carried out by LR workshops as the vehicle comes in for the first useful maintenance service.

Sorry for the italian language, I haven't got the english version; however, pictures are self evident.

post-8482-1212063573_thumb.png

post-8482-1212063556_thumb.png

... from VIN 736064 up to VIN 752152, all defenders should be inspected and, if the case be, rectified, by welding additional patches to the already welded brackets.

Thanks a lot Silvio; that includes my vehicle (unfortunately).

Does anyone have this in English for me to take along to the dealer?

Cheers

Ruaraidh

So Jim, you (being a Mod) could probably correct the sub title from tea lady (not lady tea, sorry for the mistake.. :o ) to bean accountant. :D

I cannot edit my post anymore, too much time elapsed probably :rolleyes: .

So Jim, you (being a Mod) could probably correct the sub title from tea lady (not lady tea, sorry for the mistake.. :o ) to bean accountant. :D

I cannot edit my post anymore, too much time elapsed probably :rolleyes: .

Mods can only edit in the forums for which they are responsible. Being a mod in here means I can edit it (and have done so) but being an admin too means I can edit across the forums, create storms at sea, turn water into wine and all sorts of other stuff too ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I imagine that date and number of the service action should be the same, so quoting service action "Q036" should suffice to any good will dealer...

Sorry to bring this one up again after several days but the dealer here is unable to find this in English and reckons the Q036 number does not exist... It would help a lot if anyone has access to an English language version.

Thanks

Ruaraidh

All these documents are now freely (upon payment of a subscription fee, that is...) available at the GTR Land Rover web site.

I cannot believe that any dealer is unable to find the english (or german, or french, or spanish...) version of that bulletin.

It's been a couple of months since April's Fools.

http://www.landrovertechinfo.com/extlrprod/market.jsp

Hi Gemsbok, wanna give your dealer a tangible proof of how silly they are???

Print the attached picture, in colour if possible, and aske them to count five, down to the fifth service bulletin listed from the top!

post-8482-1213032720_thumb.jpg

Tried having a look for this component on mine.

I'm smack bang in the middle of the supposed VIN range so I was expecting to see the welded brackets.

I don't know whether I'm looking in the right place but you can see from the photos attached that the brackets are definitely bolted.

Am I looking in completely the wrong place?

post-3539-1213037345_thumb.jpg

post-3539-1213037379_thumb.jpg

Guest diesel_jim
Hi Gemsbok, wanna give your dealer a tangible proof of how silly they are???

Print the attached picture, in colour if possible, and aske them to count five, down to the fifth service bulletin listed from the top!

post-8482-1213032720_thumb.jpg

I like the one below it.... i bet (with Tata now owning LR) that the Pakistan spec vehicles get sorted ASAP.

the French just need the HD reverse gear kit fitted. ;)