Funny problem.

I have a Def 110, 1991 model. I used to have a funny problem, when I switch ON the headlight in the evening/night and drive, the Ampmeter show negative readings and the Horn sounds very weak. Also Funny thing is that the temp gauge goes up. Even though the engine temp is normal.

The minute I switch OFF the headlights the temp drops and the Horn now sounds OK. Thought it was my battery which was 7 years old. Hence did this:

Bought a brand new 100 Amp Battery and also decided to go in for a better new Alternator.

Now in the morning when I start the Landy, the Ampmeter still shows negative and once she starts it climbs to the middle. No problem with starting as there is enough of Juice.

On evening drives the story is the same. Once I switch On the Headlights or Spot lights the amp meter goes to negative and more this time and again the Horn is very weak. Still the Temp gauge goes up. All this stops once I switch Off the headlights.

Wondering what is happening. Checked the battery and alternator all are brand new and its charging the battery too.

Any advise from the Landy Gurus will be helpful.

Check your earth connections. Clean them, replace the earth leads if they look too far gone and see of that makes a difference.

A lot of those systems you mentioned share common earth points. Many complaints about bad electrics on LRs are solved by sorting the earths.

Let us know how you get on!

Josh

Find a Haynes or LR or RAVE manual and give it a read. Invaluable learning exercise which will endow you with knowledge to get the jobs done!

Earth straps from battery to engine, to chassis to gearbox I think. Also behind the instrument cluster there is one

Should be one earth from battery to gearbox casing, engine strap (on mine from rhs of engine, looking from front, half way down to chassis bracket) and one side of fuel filter on bulkhead - under drivers window in engine bay - black wire attached). HTH.

The main earth problem is usually the one on the bulkhead - just to the side of the clutch pedal box under the bonnet . You'll find it easily

as it should have 5 or 6 black wires with ring terminals . Run one from there to battery and check all the others , battery to gearbox and engine to chassis usually near the engine mount on the exhaust side

keep us posted on your progress

cheers

Steveb