Crunchy Gears

I've got a 2003 TD5 90 and the gear change between 1st and 2nd, and 2nd and 3rd isn't great, I've changed the oil and it was slightly better but still not as good as my old 300tdi 90. If I change slowly, or at low engine revs, I can get a smooth change. I had put this down to wear or maybe this is just the way this gearbox is, but then I realised that if I keep a bit of pressure on the gear stick, holding it over to the left, while I change between 1st and 2nd the change is absolutely fine at any speed.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Thanks

Dave

Check that the "nylon" ball joint isn't worn.

I'll have a look at that, the gear change isn't sloppy, infact it is quite positive, but it's worth a look.

I may be imagining that it's better if I hold the stick over to the left, just clutching a straws in hope that it wont mean that I need to change the gearbox.

I might give some of this fancy synthetic oil a go, at the moment it has fresh MTF94 in it from Smith and Allen so it might make no difference, and the synthetic stuff it is quite pricey, but not as pricey as a recon box.

Has anyone tried the Difflock evolution 1 or the Redline stuff and was it any good? I'm leaning towards the Redline MTL after a bit of googling, but there seem to be a few different ones, which one should I be looking for?

Thanks

Dave

Just a quick update.

The gear change being better when I hold the stick over to the left was in my imagination, so on Friday last week I ordered 3 litres of Redline MTL to give that a try.

Now .......... I've been driving it every day since I put fresh MTF in the gearbox to give it a chance to get around everywhare expecting that the gear change would gradually get better, but it hadn't, which is why I ordered the Redline oil. But when driving home on Friday after ordering the Redline stuff, the gear change started to get a bit better to the point where this morning there was no crunch what so ever between 1st and 2nd.

So it turns out that to fix the problem all I had to do was order £55 worth of oil and the second I hit "Buy" the problem fixed itself.

Dave