300TDi cylinder head supplier

Stewart

It's been a while (years) since I posted on here. 

I've just bought a 300 tdi disco. The expansion bottle is pressurising and bubbling straight after starting and the heater is blowing cold when it should be hot. With my limited skills I've come to the conclusion my head is knackered. I've looked on the forum to see if there is any preferred supplier of heads with no luck. So the question is, where is the best place to get a new head? I'm guessing Britpart isn't the way to go. Also can a normal torque wrench be used on the (new) headbolts?

Thanks Stewart

3 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Could just be the head gasket?

Take the head off and get it crack tested, then decide one whether to replace it, you can't test this with the head on.

The chap I bought it of has put a head gasket on it already.It sounds like he used one of those multi layer ones. Unfortuntaly he decided against getting the head checked out. Luckily the motor was cheap and it can just about stand the cost of a new head.

Edited by Stewart

from what i know 300's just wont tolerate boiling so doing a gasket is wasted time. Turners seem to be popular place for a new head. or find a known good 2nd hand engine for sale

I've booked the disco in to be fixed (home repair isn't an option due to kids, woman and time). Looking on the Turners website they say there heads are AMC. 

Edited by Stewart