tube rims and tubeless tyres daft question

daft question I have in my possesion a set of wolf rims that are the inner tube type and have the 235 70 16 bf goodrich at tyres that came off my disco and a set of 16 " inner tubes made by michelin for tractors

anyway took the tyres,tubes and rims into my local tyre fitting place yesterday only to be told that they cant fit tubeless tyres and inner tubes to tube type rims :o

never heard of that one so are they right or was it more likely an excuse for not wanting the job?

For "can't" read "won't". We get lots of 127s or 130s in the workshop with what look like 'wolf' rims, but they are the older tubed type. They mostly have tubeless tyres fitted. In fact, most of the owners don't realise that the rims are tubed type until we show them the difference. (I have tubeless wolf rims on my 110). And some of them even have a mixture of rims.

Your mistake was taking the tubes - they aren't necessary with those rims, and you should not fit tubes to tubeless tyres anyway, as the inner of the tyre is not smooth and will fret and puncture the tube.

So I suggest you forget the tubes and take the rims and tyres to another place.

Unless there are insurance/legal problems in the UK that we don't have in the third world. Here a wheel is a wheel and a tyre is black and round and hopefully has some tread.

I've got XD/wolf tubed rims fitted with tubeless MT's not had any problems with leaks or the tyres unseating, never had a refusal by my tyre supplier not to fit tubeless tyres to the,tubeless tyres have internal ribs that can chaff a tueb until it splits, just leave the tubes out or find a set of ANR4583 tubeless XD/Wolf rims.

You can fit tubeless tyres - with tubes - to tube type rims (Land Rover did it until recently with the Michelin XPCs on Defender tube type rims, only in the last couple of years that the standard rim has changed to tubeless). You should not fit tubeless tyres to tube type rims without a tube (i.e. mostly the old 5.5" LR rims) - because the tube type rim does not have the inner hump to retain the bead of the tyre. People do fit them here and I confess to never having heard of any problems but if you had a smash because a tyre popped off the bead, you can bet the insurers would wash their hands of it!

It's the wheel that defines what's fitted, not the tyre.

Tubeless wheel= only tubeless tyres, never fit tubes.

Tubed wheel= Always fit tubes no matter what tyre is fitted.

Fitting tubes to tubeless tyres is fine (on tubed wheels) unless the tyre manufacturer specifically states not to. That would probably only be the case on some high performance tyres, and you'd be unlikley to fit them to tubed wheels.

The problem of split tubes is mainly caused by people using cheap poor quality tubes, and there's a lot of them about.

Fitting tubeless tyres to tube wheels without tubes is potentially bloody dangerous, and it doesn't matter how many people post to say they've done it without problems.

I guess Michelin must have made an exception for the XPC then as they have been fitted to 90s for years as 205R16, and when the factory 7.50R16 fit changed from Rangemasters to Mich XPC's a few years back, they were fitted with tubes for a while until the new tubeless rim came along. I guess Land Rover would not fit something that was not approved by the tyre manufacturer, at least one would hope not!

Maybe they deliberately made the XPC smooth inside so that tubes could be fitted safely. If the XPC is the tyre I think it is, it was fitted to 130s and 110 hard tops and bakkies here, but all the ones I saw had wolf tubeless rims. And the Kalahari had the 5.5J tubeless rims and the same tyres.

Before that the Defenders had 5.5F rims, with General SAG radials, tubed type, fitted with tubes. But many people fit 235/85 tubeless radials to those rims without tubes. I just think the rims are not really wide enough for that size of tyre.

And those same SAG radials work fine on tubeless wolf rims without tubes.

I also heard that you mustn't fit a tube to a tubeless rim because the hole for the valve is in the wrong place and will tear out. Could be true ....

The XPC shouldn't have been fitted to 130s because the load rating is too low - I think you may be thinking of the XZL (narrow nobbly tread pattern) - the XPC is a road tyre as per attached pic.

Technically the minimum rim width for a 235 section tyre is usually given as 6 inches but loads of people here run them on 5.5s with no problems.

post-33-1210696720.jpg

You are right, I am thinking of the XZL. A quite narrow 7.50x16. I did read that the 7.50" is the height of the tyre which is why tyres of that size vary in width quite a lot.

(I also notice the spell checker here doesn't like my British spelling :P )

hi

my 8 spokes are tubeless but i fit tubes.

there are some garages that wont fit tubes full stop.

you could allwes fit them your self i do then just take them to have them balanced.

i fix all my punchers and dont like having to pay 12quid to have someone elce do it