"Overheating" P38

geoffbeaumont

Typical... Still waiting for the eurobox, but the Range Rover is back :rolleyes: The garage (Tyseley 4x4) reckon the injector pump is a bit tired and just didn't want to prime - it's now running quite happily and starting first time every time :)

I have to say that Neil at Tyseley 4x4 has been absolutely brilliant, chasing the breakers yard (which really wasn't his problem) for me and keeping me up to date with what was going on. The bill wasn't as bad as I'd feared, either :)

I'm not sure whether to name the breakers yard - there's still a company trading under the same name, who may have nothing to do with them, but I suspect they're one of those phoenix companies that keeps going bust and setting up again elsewhere...

Hopefully they'll get to the bottom of this soon - the cars been off the road for two clear months and in the garage for most of it.

I've come to the conclusion that if a 'serious' engine problem develops it's a good step to check the dates and weigh in the tax disc. Late in the month, do it straight away, early in the month and you can afford to diary it for action on the 20th.

This is more a comment on the punitive tax rates than a particular car / engine.

In the same context (of being short of personal transport), Home Delivery of groceries must be the best deal going. Sure it takes some time to compile the order, especially when you start, but it's probably quicker than visiting the shop, and if you can organise yourself so you don't need delivery straight away it's only going to cost £3.00 / £3.50. In my experience anyway.

I've also extended the time between 'visits' to the supermarket, so there is a time saving as well.

I suppose I'm lucky in some ways, as the milkman will home deliver fresh vegetables, eggs, and cheese, so I've got most bases covered.

Anyway, good luck with the replacement, whatever it is.

What LR product do you actually want? After experiencing the 38A nothing seems to appeal to me.

(I suppose that comment can be read two ways, but I'll let it stand).

Cheers.

The replacement isn't a land rover at all, or anything remotely like it - it's a Peugeot 307 diesel :( Much more sensible, given the Range Rover would now be costing my about £120 a week in diesel just getting to and from work, but certainly not a car to get excited about. It rides nicely, handles nicely, goes okay, drinks frugally, feels well screwed together and it's comfortable, but it's totally and utterly uninvolving to drive. A perfect car for someone who doesn't actually like cars.

Erica has told me I can keep the Range Rover as well, but with only one income at the moment (she's on maternity leave) and having just blown a large hole in our finances buying the new car and fixing the Range Rover we really can't afford not to sell it.

I like the P38 and I doubt I'd replace it with anything else as a general purpose off roader and everyday car. I'm going to miss it :(

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

I have a serious problem with my p38 and wondering if it could be faulty temp gauge or radiator. Have the mystery coolant loss problem, and when it's been running, coolant is spilling out violently from the header tank. Pulled the engine apart, heads and head gasket seem fine, pressure tested the heads as well as the block and there doesn't seem to be any leaks. Have checked the thermostat and it seems to open and close fine as well. Temp gauge has redlined only once several weeks ago but since then it's been sitting on normal as long as there's enough coolant. Having to top up coolant almost every day. All hoses seem ok too. Wondering now if its the radiator?? I'm totally lost so any help would be very much appreciated!

If the cap doesn't help then the next thing on my list to try on mine was the water pump (having replaced the expansion tap and cap, thermostat, head and checked the radiator I was running out of possible causes!). Unfortunately I had to sell the P38 without getting to the bottom of the issues (spares or repairs - that thing blew a sizeable hole in our bank account :().

The end of the story isn't on this thread, but I had the P38 up for sale for a while (supposedly fixed) with no interest, so I decided to sell the Peugeot instead and took the P38 to work. I got about five miles before it brewed up again and I had to be recovered - typically, that day I had an offer for the P38 that I had to refuse :( I re-advertised it spares or repairs and it went the following day, but for more than two grand less than I'd paid for it only a year earlier.

I read this with interest as I am getting the same problem or it sounds the same but if it doesnt do it striahgt away it doesnt do it on a run until its turned off and starts again. I just did 300 miles on the way back from the alps and it didnt miss a beat, put some fuel in at luxwmbourg and the usual toilet stop was back on the motorway for 5 mins and bang straight upto red with coolant coming out the top of the header tank and boiling water in the tank ore air bubble with seriously hot water. squeezed the hoses all pressurised and hot but rad seemed cool.

Left it all to cool released the pressure squeezed the hoses all got back to normal so started the car again set off and did 400 miles home no problem. Had to top up 2 litres of coolant that it spewed over the header tank from over heating.

It almosst looks as though there is a rad bypass that is kicking in when it shouldnt which I assume would be there to make the engine get upto temperature or is the thermostat sticking.

Its been good for four year and all I have done in the last few weeks is drain, refill and antifreeze the car before going to the alps at christmas.

Hi Robert,

As Pete and Fillip have said on your other thread, your problem sounds likely to be a sticking thermostat or blocked return pipe from the radiator to the header tank. If it's neither of those not sure how much use this thread will be to you, as both Seb's care and mine (when I had it) are diesels so a completely different engine.