Idiotic Defender Brakes/Discs Question

Right, ordering my new discs and pads all round for my 300tdi N reg 1996 Defender 90

VIN number is SAL******TA98****

I've now managed to confuse myself as to whether I have the right bits in the right numbers! Quantity-wise I'm pretty sure you need one kit per axle? So, in my shopping cart on paddocks so far are:

FRONT:

1 x FRC7329M - Brake disc - solid - Mintex

1 x STC9145M - Brake pads - front - Mintex

1 x STC8573 - Brake retaining pad kit for STC9145, STC2950, STC9187 (Split pin type)

REAR:

1 x STC9188M - Rear brake pads - no sensor wires - Def 90, Disco 1, Range Rover Classic - Mintex

1 x FTC1381M - Rear brake disc - Mintex

1 x STC8576 - Brake pad retaining kit - (Solid pin type)

My main issue is the Brake pad retaining kits, I may not even need them but figured on getting them just in case. Do those numbers look right? Would there be any possibility of my having vented front discs and thus requiring replacement vented discs? Argh, my head hurts!

TaEDIT for typos

The STC8573 retaining kit that you have listed for the front brakes is actually for the rears.

The STC8576 kit you've ordered for the rear brakes, I'm not sure what that fits. But it may do the fronts. You'd have to re-use the solid pins, and then fit the new springs and then split-pins to the end of the solid pins.

I think you might need to order 2 discs each - the description isn't very clear. You can check if you have vented by removing a front wheel, and having a look. I guess if you are asking about vented you haven't done it before.

As you are changing the discs, you will also need the lockwashers and gaskets for the hubs (cheap but I just don't remember the pt nos) and you'll need loctite for the bolts holding the disc to the hub. I'd recommend getting also 8 caliper bolts (+ loctite) unless you are sure they will be reusable or you can get them easily nearby - if they are original they probably wont be much use. I'd also be prepared to put new pistons in the calipers unless you're sure they are in good nick. You'll need a big spanner for the hub nuts.

Right! So, take 2:

FRONT:

2 x FRC7329M - Brake disc - solid - Mintex

1 x STC9145M - Brake pads - front - Mintex

1 x STC8573 - Brake retaining pad kit for STC9145, STC2950, STC9187 (Split pin type)

REAR:

2 x FTC1381M - Rear brake disc - Mintex

1 x STC9188M - Rear brake pads - no sensor wires - Def 90, Disco 1, Range Rover Classic - Mintex

1 x STC8574 - Brake pad retaining kit for STC9188, STC9189

MISC:

4 x FTC3179 - Hub bearing lock washer

4 x 571752 - Drive flange gasket (hub gasket)

8 x FTC3375 - Caliper Bolt

Rightyho, cheers for the help, fingers crossed I've ordered all the right bits! £106.51, fraction of the £460 that the garage quoted me for parts!

• 2 weeks later...