RRC Soft Dash Vogue SE intermittent battery drain

wayne5666

Good evening all . I am chasing a frustrating ,and very intermittent fault on a friends 1995 Classic Soft dash 300 TDI Auto Vogue SE .

It can be left for a week , and on unlocking , it may be perfect , or the battery could have absolutely no life at all .There are so sequence of events that lead to the problem , it may happen , it may not .In the past year , it has had 3 new batteries , as they have been suspected .

The car has Heated seats , electric memory seats , cruise control , and air suspension The central locking is on drivers door with key , and I mobiles LED in dashboard (as Discovery 300) ..mine operates on single button remote , with LED under radio aperture .

All electrics work fine ,

Is it conceivable , that the air suspension can cut in , and "adjust" itself , when left for a period ,consequently flattening battery .Radio has also been unplugged , just to eliminate it .

Thanks in advance for your collective help .

If the central locking is only working with the key, then the alarm/immobiliser/central locking ECU is faulty. It was already prime suspect, but as soon as I read that, it became almost only suspect.

The seats can't be powered without the ignition on, and I think the same is true of the EAS (my soft dash was factory fitted with coils, so I can't compare directly on that system). The STS (airbag) system could be draining as it is permanently live, but it would be an unusual failure. The final possibility is the stereo, as they can often malfunction and draw a few amps instead of the sub 0.5A current they should take for retaining the memory presets.

The alarm ECU is a common failure on such an old vehicle, and it can be replaced with the later Discovery two button unit with an adaptor harness, supplied as a kit bt Remotekey.com, which also allow the ECU to have a few other settings that LR blocked. I was very pleased with their kit.

• 3 months later...

Just seen this topic! I had the same sort of problem, but it drained batteries overnight, every night and destroyed them as they are not made for deep discharge. The identified problem was the air suspension timer relay not releasing after it's timed period and giving a continuous 1amp discharge.

initial fix was a switch in the power feed to the eas ecu, but one had to remember to switch it off and on!

permanent fix was to change the timer relay.