fuel tank cradle - what needs to come off to replace?

gadget

The tank cradle on our freelander has died :(

I've had a look about for a howto replace but my search powers are weak. 

It doesn't look to be the easiest of things to take off. Anyone know what has to be removed to get at it and fit a new one?

The cradle died on my wife's 2006 TD4 a couple of years ago but funnily enough everything else on the underside was almost like new (I do tend to keep my vehicles clean on the underside). At the time there were no pattern offerings available so I bit the bullet and bought a genuine part but made sure that before fitting it was painted & Waxoyled.

When it came to fitting I didn't fancy the hassle of supporting the tank so for the first time ever I popped it into our local independent garage (a one man band but is totally reliable & trustworthy unlike many) and he did it for me.

The cost??????.......................£50.

Wouldn't have been worth getting the ramps out or getting my hands dirty for that!

Where do you live? I'm coming over :)

The local garage want over £200 for fitting with the caveat of "everything has been on there for a long time, we don't know how long it will take to get everything off"

I've got a pit to work in, so supporting the tank shouldn't cause me too much trouble. I hope...

Cranfield (Beds).

He said it wasn't a problem and as I said, apart from the cradle everything else was nice and clean so it wasn't a messy job.

Too late for me but I see that there are pattern cradles available now at about a quarter of the price for a genuine item.

On 08/11/2016 at 8:02 PM, Litch said:

Cranfield (Beds).

He said it wasn't a problem and as I said, apart from the cradle everything else was nice and clean so it wasn't a messy job.

Too late for me but I see that there are pattern cradles available now at about a quarter of the price for a genuine item.

Our freelander is clean underneath, but it does have 200,000 miles worth of rust that i'm sure will make some of the but and bolts troublesome.

I'm in Staffs. It's a shame you're not in a neighbouring county. I'd pay your indy £50 in a heratbeat .

3 hours ago, Les Henson said:

Did a quick search and it appears you have to lower (not remove) the subframe.

Cheers Les.

Did your searches give any indication of how much of a drop was needed for the subframe?

When i had a quick look underneath i thought the prop and maybe the centre exhaust would need moving out of the way to make life easier.

I'll give it a bash and see how it goes. If there's not too much spanner throwing and cursing i might get some pictures too.

You may find that exhaust clamps will be very rusty and then break when you try to undo them. Separating one part of the system from another is not always as simple as pulling them apart and usually needs belting with a soft mallet. If you only need to get the exhaust out of the way, then unhooking the mounting rubbers means that it will drop down out of the way under it's own weight. You may need to restrict how far it drops by supporting it or tying it when it's down far enough. Similarly, the prop may only need disconnecting from the diff and tying out of the way. Having said that, sometime removing a component completely makes the intended job a lot easier.

Les.

• 4 months later...

I replaced the tank cradle today. I was part way through before i remembered to take pictures :(

First of all this is what was left of the original cradle.

old.nearside.thumb.jpg.4ce66b01ffcc161c2ebdf4edd1be154e.jpg

old.offside.thumb.jpg.94859781114e43f79b86dfac8dfc90e6.jpg

I've removed the mid and rear exhaust sections because i'm replacing them. You would only need to remove the mid section to replace the tank cradle.

I unbolted the propshaft from the rear diff and removed the rear diff front mount and rested the diff on the subframe to give extra clearance.

front_diff.mount.removed.thumb.jpg.c892d77ca44ef6eedd5fcccabf8f3b0a.jpg

I was going to put a jack under the subframe and lower it down but seeing as some ape has welded the offside front to the chassis i decided on a different approach.

ape.welded.subframe.thumb.jpg.a99ec1e086efc7d991558fb5c1aa8ec1.jpg

I put a trolley jack under the tow bar and raised it to just touch and then removed the three remaining subframe bolts and left it hanging. The nearside dropped by about four inches.  I unbolted the handbrake cable brackets on both sides too.

nearside.subframe.brake.bracket.thumb.jpg.4486ba0b44e16fe872d7a77e354134be.jpg

I supported the tank with two scissor jacks with wood to spread the weight a little. I'd already drained the tank so there isn't much weight to support.

supporting_tank.thumb.jpg.4d341c0dcc3e97b1afb04885a0efdabf.jpg

At this point i removed the four cradle support bolts and the cradle dropped from the tank leaving the heat shield and plastic guard in place with the tank.  There are two clips on the tank toward the rear that need to be unlatched

rear_tank.clips.thumb.jpg.a5aa88b768f93c75b1f2033f5aefa911.jpg

I had to lower the tank on the jacks by about 25mm to get the front section of the cradle past the two front locating nibs on the tank. Once the front was off the nibs the cradle pulled free.

What's left of the old cradle versus the new one.

old.versus_new.thumb.jpg.6dd0882c8a6848a8b1e2d4ee09400834.jpg

The new cradle slides in over the subframe and just bolts up. Locate the front of the new cradle over the tank front nibs first and then fit the two front cradle support bolts in by a few turns. Leaving them loose lets you wiggle the rear of the cradle about while you try to locate the rear two bolts. This is one of the front nibs that you need to locate.

tank.front_nibs.thumb.jpg.42a1e85082f63ca2722dc28ec6ad0b56.jpg

Lift the rear of the cradle until it is close to the tank and then attach the rear tank clips. Then fit the rear two cradle support bolts.

Refit front diff mount (i fitted a new one) and bolt up subframe. Refit prop and handbrake brackets. That's it.

Edited by gadget

• 4 months later...