EAS Woe's Again .

P38 Paul

Here we go again , Got in the car this morning , started it up & the suspension went on to HIGH HIGH " Top red LED flashing " & it wont come back down again , Also , the compressor is running continuously so I have had to unplug that as well . Is this a EAS driver fault ? All was working perfectly before today . Any help out there please would be appreciated .:(

could be, although after it's been for a drive round does it doe anything else weird, like drop to eas fault 35mph max?

the comp is prob running to lift the suspension, does it stop normally? i.e after waking up the becm and leaving the doors open does it stop running after a timeout?

the fault i've seen with driver pack was an intermittent raising and then flashing of led at high (like it would never get there) then it would eventually say eas fault 35mph max.

If you caught it raising you could command the down position to normal and it would be happy with that sometimes, not always. If not you got the eas fault.

You could reset it with eas unlock s/w but it randomly came back usually after a knock while driving e.g pothole or speedbump. changed two of the height sensors first thinking they were shot, and substituting an eas ecu, but it did exactly the same after.

So if it's intermittent raising it could well be a driver pack pcb problem. they are encapsulated in resin so not easy to get apart, could try a spare of ebay unless anyone here has one. However it's a easy enough job to swap the driver pack over from memory just need some heatshrink for the over pressure switch which i left in from memory.

Hi Pete , compressor is running all the time even with the key out of the ignition until I unplug it , The raise/lower switch is inoperative but does change the LED lights up & down but not the vehicle height , There are no warnings on the dash board , only the icon showing on the dashboard is the amber car & the up arrow , have tried to reset with a EAS kicker & a Nanocm But to no avail , Nanocom doesn't even show any faults , Work that one out :wacko: I parked the car up on the evening & everything was ok & the next morning the fault was there from the word go .

What happens if you pull the relay by the lhs passenger seat to kill power to the eas ecu? does this kill the pump.

with the (relay back in and the) pump running do you get any pressure into the tank or has it done it a lot i.e has it got warm and run for long periods so the piston seal is banjaxed? Probably need to get some pressure or fault find the pump/reservoir first to determine you have usable pressure to do anything valve/airspring related.

P.S these are only my musings and how i would tackle it, i'm sure an adult will be along shortly ;-)

There is some info on rangerovers.net around buiding a spider wire to hot wire some connections to the driver block to test various valve and pump operation.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/4468-info-eas-troubleshooting-tips.html

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/airsuspension/

link to some eas bits if you need any, i.e pump repair

http://p38spares.co.uk/commerce/catagory/75/Air_Suspension.html

Pete

Edited by pete3000
pump repair kit

• 1 year later...
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 8:53 PM, P38 Paul said:

My suspension has started operating as normal & I haven't done anything to it :huh: Bloody Range Rovers :rolleyes:

Here we go again , its been on high high for the past week & it wont come back down , compressor running continually again so have unplugged it again :angry2:

If the compressor continues to run with the ignition off, the relay could be stuck. And that could upset EAS operation as well. Try swapping relay 20 with a known good one. The compressor is controlled by the EAS ECU, not via the driveblock.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:12 AM, Escape said:

If the compressor continues to run with the ignition off, the relay could be stuck. And that could upset EAS operation as well. Try swapping relay 20 with a known good one. The compressor is controlled by the EAS ECU, not via the driveblock.

Cheers for that , I will get another relay the weekend & give it a go .

Well , well , well   ,  Who would have thought a relay could have caused so much chaos , my very sincere thanks

to Escape for his knowledge on this subject , I could have purchased a new driver & still retained the same problem .

I don my hat to you sir & salute you , Thankyou .

Glad I could help and to hear you got it fixed easily! It's always a good idea to start with the easiest things, before replacing more complex and expensive items. Makes it easier to live with and enjoy the P38s, despite their bad reputation. ;-)