swivel housing

rananim

- i am not sure if this is chiken and egg, but the Haynes manual for my defender 110 1991 says that the swivel housing has a drain and a filler plug and should be refilled with E90 oil.

hwvr - mine has only a filler plug and is obviously filled with something like graphite grease.

can someone please tell me whether I can top up with oil, or grease and if so what?

thanks and sorry for being so green ;-)

rananim

I think it's all dependent on you having a railko top swivel (EP90), or a taper roller bearing top swivel (One shot grease).

Les.

Not really, Les. My 95 model has roller bearings and three plugs (filler, level and drain). I use EP90. It is difficult to use EP90 with later models because you don't have the drain or level plugs. (Ask Steve aka SCL aka Bogmonster about this).

You could measure out the correct amount of oil and inject it. To drain the oil you would have to remove the top swivel pin (which has to be done every so often to remove a shim or two) or loosen the swivel seal.

Anorak note: the grease is what they call 'thixotropic' (what a lovely word :) ) This is not uncommon for greases and especially for cosmetics and cleaners. It means the grease becomes liquid when stirred and sets when left alone. Lipstick and mascara also have this quality. Not that I am suggesting you fill your swivels with lipstick, though it would most likely work ok, though a bit expensive. :lol:

In SA the LR grease is ridiculously expensive, in the workshop we use Shell SC00 which is a lovely blue colour.

If you put the wheel on full lock (rh lock for the rh wheel and lh lock for the lh wheel) and remove the filler plug, you can just dip it. I also vote for oil rather than grease, provided you can keep it sealed.

I have also pulled the seals to the wheel bearings, so they now live in oil. I found that the wheel bearings last forever in oil and alarmingly shorter in grease.

Daan