More environmental news.

Les Henson

On the 10-o-clock news just now. China is now the worlds biggest polluter. It's now building 2 power stations every week - burning low-grade high polluting coal. Each power station produces the equivalent of 2 million cars every year. Some politician says that in order for them to control their pollution levels we need to set an example and that it's actually our fault they are developing so fast. 4x4's being a drop in the ocean seems like an exaggeration after hearing that.

Les.

......and that it's actually our fault they are developing so fast. 4x4's being a drop in the ocean seems like an exaggeration after hearing that.

Les.

I hate to say it and I hate to admit any politician is right but.......

we've just had a little bit of a spend at home....

We bought

a new Dell PC ..... made in China.

a new Apple ipod..... made in China.

a new ipod speaker stand...... made in China

a new Acer laptop.....made in ... you've guessed it China.....

Amazing but all our recent electronic purchases emanate from China, you don't really think about it when you by a product such as a Dell PC or an Apple ipod but they are obviously going to maximise profits by making this stuff where labour is cheap as chips.

The Dell was to replace one that hadn't broken or messed up but it just needed to be 'upgraded', the Acer Laptop was to stop me and Jan fighting over PC/Internet access, ditto on the iPod, none of them hardly essential purchases but made none the less and all made in some Chinese sweat shop somewhere fuelled by cheap coal/fossil fuels....thank God I don't have a conscience

I hate to say it and I hate to admit any politician is right but.......

we've just had a little bit of a spend at home....

We bought

a new Dell PC ..... made in China.

a new Apple ipod..... made in China.

a new ipod speaker stand...... made in China

a new Acer laptop.....made in ... you've guessed it China.....

Amazing but all our recent electronic purchases emanate from China, you don't really think about it when you by a product such as a Dell PC or an Apple ipod but they are obviously going to maximise profits by making this stuff where labour is cheap as chips.

The Dell was to replace one that hadn't broken or messed up but it just needed to be 'upgraded', the Acer Laptop was to stop me and Jan fighting over PC/Internet access, ditto on the iPod, none of them hardly essential purchases but made none the less and all made in some Chinese sweat shop somewhere fuelled by cheap coal/fossil fuels....thank God I don't have a conscience

I just bought special curry and rice, supposed to be Chinese, turns out it was made in Bristol!!!!

I just bought special curry and rice, supposed to be Chinese, turns out it was made in Bristol!!!!

And there's me thinking curry was from India.... :rolleyes:

I've been involved on contract bids for pumps, seals and compressors for China many times and they just follow one golden rule.

It MUST be cheap!!

They don't care about life expectancy or emissions, or indeed whole-life-costs. Purely ££. The less, the better.

Disposal costs and envoronmental issues simply aren't a factor.

You can see what's gonna happen can't you?

One day, they'll have to comply with emissions regulations. That'll raise the cost of manufacture and push their competitiveness askew.

But it does make you wonder why we all work so hard to reduce our carbon footprints, yet there's still countries with a seemingly blatant disregard for this.

I've been involved on contract bids for pumps, seals and compressors for China many times and they just follow one golden rule.

It MUST be cheap!!

They don't care about life expectancy or emissions, or indeed whole-life-costs. Purely ££. The less, the better.

Disposal costs and envoronmental issues simply aren't a factor.

You can see what's gonna happen can't you?

One day, they'll have to comply with emissions regulations. That'll raise the cost of manufacture and push their competitiveness askew.

But it does make you wonder why we all work so hard to reduce our carbon footprints, yet there's still countries with a seemingly blatant disregard for this.

And marked decreases in the costs of consumer items over the last 10 years due to Chinese manufacture has helped keep the UK inflation rate where it is. If China is suddenly forced to implement western standards of pollution control and/or workers rights/wages, then the whole world is going to catch an economic cold real fast.

No western politician is going to go out of their way to upset that particular applecart.

Still begs the question,, if the UK only produces 2% of the CO2 then why are we paying the price of reducing it? :angry:

Then agian Speeding has less than 2% of the RTA deaths yet that gets all the attention. :angry:

Can't help feeling like this is a rip off Government :ph34r:

Back on topic, morning news cartoon show? had a nonconformist scientist on who presented that CO2 is not a greenhouse gas as it premotes plant growth which produces oxygen. Also that the established scientists are government backed for increasing tax.

The cartoon presenter (sorry news show presenter) ridicled the scientist and ignored his statements. The whole thing looked like a set up to prove that the media is right and that people who don't agree are evil criminals that will destroy the planet. :angry:

Still begs the question,, if the UK only produces 2% of the CO2 then why are we paying the price of reducing it? :angry:

Then agian Speeding has less than 2% of the RTA deaths yet that gets all the attention. :angry:

Can't help feeling like this is a rip off Government :ph34r:

Back on topic, morning news cartoon show? had a nonconformist scientist on who presented that CO2 is not a greenhouse gas as it premotes plant growth which produces oxygen. Also that the established scientists are government backed for increasing tax.

The cartoon presenter (sorry news show presenter) ridicled the scientist and ignored his statements. The whole thing looked like a set up to prove that the media is right and that people who don't agree are evil criminals that will destroy the planet. :angry:

The government is using global warming as a money spinner, everything is regulated by tax, it would be better to regulate by rationing.

The CO2 O2 thing is a matter of balance, I'm sure we are increasing the CO2 in the atmosphere because we are burning fossil fuels and cutting down vegetation. It can't be denied the planet is warming up although the reasons are debated.

I'm not happy about this idea of burying CO2 because of the energy required to do so and the fact that they'd be burying oxyxgen as well as carbon.