Fitting a winch to a RRC

I finally got around to taking some pictures of the winch installation on my RRC.

I wanted the installation to be subtle rather than "look at me I've got a winch" so I chose to recess it behind the grille on a home meade mount retaining the original bumper.

A "U" shaped piece of plate was cut to form a flange which was welded inside the chassis rails and the front x member.

The main winch plate was bolted to this, and welded to the front bumper mounting plates.

After some constructive critiscism, I cut the front bumper at an angle rather than straight, and filled in the open ends.

One side houses a digital voltmeter to see the battery condition while winching.

The centre section of bumper is on R clips to allow it to be removed completely, and the number plate hinges up to allow access to the winch clutch.

lr4x4winch1.jpg

lr4x4winch2.jpg

lr4x4winch3.jpg

lr4x4winch4.jpg

It is a wire rope for the moment, but will be changed to "plasma" later on, with a new fairlead.

You are quite correct that the roller fairlead would not fit within the profile of the original bumper.

Given that this is more a "get out of jail" winch rather than a challenge one, I am happy to accept the risk of damage to the wire cable, especially as I plan to replace it.

Thanks to Si at X Eng for the patient conversation, while bending his ear about split charge systems! The RRC now wears its X Eng sticker with pride.