Td5 fan bearing removal

Good morning gentlemen,

the question of the day is whether it is possible to remove this bearing without taking the distribution cover away.

Bearing in question is n. 5 in the following drawing (courtesy of SmallCat, inc.):

post-8482-1224147238_thumb.jpg

post-8482-1224147278_thumb.jpg

TYA!

Silvio

Yes, it looks like it is possible ....

But then, is it really possible? Any tip or trick from someone who managed to do the job?

Did one a few weeks ago, you don’t need to take cover off, Just remove cir clip, after cleaning, I wound Part No 4 back on to shaft with Allen key turning the shaft with a spacer between housing and part, 4 shaft and bearing came out with ease, hope that makes sense.

I also put a small amount of sealer in allen key hole on shaft when finished, I am sure that water gets in behind bearing and thats why it failed.

Peter

• 3 months later...
Did one a few weeks ago, you don’t need to take cover off, Just remove cir clip, after cleaning, I wound Part No 4 back on to shaft with Allen key turning the shaft with a spacer between housing and part, 4 shaft and bearing came out with ease, hope that makes sense.

I also put a small amount of sealer in allen key hole on shaft when finished, I am sure that water gets in behind bearing and thats why it failed.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Today I tried to replace this bearing too.....pffff

I got the bearing out OK, but now I'm stuck with that short axle-bit (number 3 in the first picture) inside the old bearing.

How do I get that out ?

So far I grinded off the outer bearing ring (hope that wasn't a stupid idea) bit the inner ring refuses to part with the axle.

Any idea's ?

Thanks !!

Edwin.

I just supported the bearing over a vice and tapped the shaft out, when putting bearing back on shaft press the centre part of bearing not outer.

Thanks,

I tried using a vice but I couldn't get the axle out.

Today I grinded the bearing off, very carefully.

Managed to get it sorted, the new bearing is in now :rolleyes:

Just a shame that I'm still left with that strange grinding noise that made me change the bearing in the first place :huh:

Ah well......

Thanks !

Edwin

I have changed a couple of these, it is a standard bearing, a 6304 or something like that. We have a couple on the shelf labelled 'TD5 fan bearing'. It's not like the equivalent Tdi bearing which is made of unobtainium....