Fitting new VDO gauges

Santa has been kind and gave me VDO oil temperature, oil pressure and replacement water temperature gauge and voltmeter with appropriate (I hope!) sensors. Now all I need to do is fit them up. So far I have drilled out three 52mm holes in my MUD dash and fitted the gauges but the tricky bit comes next.

First wiring colours - frm what I can gather from previous posts it looks like light green/white for the oil pressure; light green/green for the oil temperature and green/blue for the water temperature - not sure what it should be for the voltmeter???

Next sensors (provided by ETB from briefing through SWMBO) Oil temberature is an M10 bolt with a right angle electrical connector on the outside; water temberature looks similar but is with a 5/8" UNF adaptor; oil pressure looks like a small bomb cylinder with an M10 (possibly M12) bolt on one end and a single screw terminal on the other end. Hope these are right!

From what I can also see the wire from the sensor goes to one of the three connectors on the gauge, and of the other two connectors on the gauge one (middle) goes to earth and the other takes an ingition feed +ve.

The water temperature sensor with adaptor I seem to recall should directly replace the original somewhere on the thermostat housing. I also seem to recall (but cannot find the threads) that the oil pressure sensor goes by the oil filter. Ideally I would like to keep the original warning light for safety but not sure how easy this is.

I am not sure where the oil temperature sensor best goes. I did read somewhere that you put it in the sump drain plug but I have fitted a Difflock easy drain thing so this is not possible. How best might I tackle this?

I did search the technical forum but perhaps brain still in flu mode so did not find anything.

Any help/pointers/confirmations would be really appreciated

Thanks

Malcy

imy modified parts diagram of the genuine LR bits I used to do these on my 200tdi. Post 25 on page 1 of this thread

for the voltmeter if you had the original LR version just connect the vdo unit the same way, if no voltmeter fitted do this

gauge lighting to existing gauge lighting

earth to existing or a new earth point

12v feed from any of the white ignition controlled 12v feed wires

job done :D

Thanks Western and sorry for late response but slugged by Christmas bugs (very horrid and too graphic for sensitive company!)

I presume from your drawing I would need the banjo and the adapter then fit the VDO pressure sensor in place of PRC4043 and the VDO temperature sensor in place of PRC4372. In which case I only need to get ETC4033 and ETC4034.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Malcy

Yep, reckon that would work, you'll need suitable copper crush washers/seals too & check the threads on the VDO senders are same as in the adaptors ETC4033 and ETC4034.

but slugged by Christmas bugs (very horrid and too graphic for sensitive company!)

thank god for that, can't stand gory stories :rofl: good to know your better now :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have got part ETC4033 and ETC4034 from LR dealer but they couldn't supply copper washers (or perhaps couldn't be bothered). I now have a couple of new issues.

The thread on the oil temperature sender is a bit longer than the hole in the bit that bolts the banjo onto the filter. It hits the bottom whilst still about 5mm proud of the surface so the recess surface on the hole and the part on the sender machined to fit into it are 5mm apart. Presumably I can bodge round this with washers???

The next issue is that I have a suspicion the thread on the VDO pressure sender is not quite the same as on the banjo bolt. It sort of goes in for about three turns then seems to go tight. I am not sure whether to put on copper grease and see if I can "force" the issue or if this is not just likely to strip the threads. Any advice on how best to proceed with this part? The gauges all look lovely but it would be nice to see the needle move on them!!!

Thanks

Malcy

wouldn't 'force' the threads, you'll end up stripping them, the oil temp sender fits into the oil filter head casting not the adaptor or banjo, those are for the LR standard oil pressure warning light sender & the oil pressure sender.

have a look at my pictures here if you look between the injector pump to engine block brackets you'll see the blanking plug that needs to be removed for the temp sender to screw in.

if you need copper washers Halfords do a boxed set of various sizes, some of those will fit, used some on mine recently to cure a leak.

hth :D

OK. I see now regarding the VDO oil temperature sender so that not so much of an issue now, or at least not till I try to fit it! That should sort pressure warning light and also the oil temperature gauge.

However I still have the issue of the VDO pressure sender - which equates to the LR part PRC4043 on your drawing - appearing to have a different thread. Not sure how to proceed now!

keep the LR switch to to operate the dash warning light, the temp sender ONLY sends a signal to the temp gauge.

it maybe possible to have the adaptor rethreaded to accept the VDO pressure sender thread, a local enginnering company should be able to sort it or make a suitable item.

just noticed your ham call has changed did you pass the full exam then ?

Thanks western - yes got my pass certificate on Tuesday which was quite a relief. Lot of hard work went into that and me not being a physics type person (which may have become apparent!) found it harder still. Never mind it is done and I am delighted. Now need to save up for an Alpha to get my full 400w :rolleyes:

I have shown the banjo and sensor to a friend who is a metalworker and he reckons it is a taper thread. To put on PTFE tape, hand tighten and then pich it up a further turn and a half. Hopefully this makes sense otherwise I will have two parts broke!!

Also got Halfords copper washers - not a bad selection really and quite a good price.

So I think I am ready to go when I am free on Sunday unless it is lashing it down. That is unless someone screams don't do it, it isn't a taper thread!!!

Best wishes

Malcy

• 4 years later...

Old topic, but just what I am looking into at the moment.

In my 1984 LR 90 with 200Tdi (Defender 1992, not Disco! Perhaps the same oil-filter-housing-wise, but I’m not sure) motor I want to add a voltmeter, oil temperature meter and oil pressure meter. I'll put these clocks in the Mud Console that I prepared for this. I chose 52mm instruments from VDO's Cockpit International line.

I've been looking everywhere to find the thread size of the various senders needed in order to place them in the places they are ment to be placed. LR part numbers were easy to find, but not the thread sizes if you want to use non-LR senders. I don't want to run the risk of them not being compatible with the VDO gauges and so give me inaccurate reading. To make things easy for all of you who want to do these mods in the future, here's a nice summary:

Sender threads:

Oil pressure switch M10x1

Oil temperature sender: : M16x1,5 (Goes in the place where blind plug ETC4021 is located; oil filter housing, facing forward. Plug goes out, sender goes in. For those who wonder if oil will pour out of the hole once you removed the plug: not if you allow the oil to seep into the oil sump, so leave the good old landy alone for an hour if you don't want to make a mess.)

Now the oil pressure sender is a bit of a problem as there is not enough room for the 4,6cm diameter pot to fit in place of the original oil temp switch. There are 3 options:

1. The option described above by Western (Banjo fitting)

2. Buy a M10x1 T-piece (1x male, 2x female) that you screw into the original oil pressure switch hole and screw the VDO pressure sender into the side port (hoping that it will point into a direction that actually allows you to screw anything into it) and the original pressure switch into the end port of the T-piece. T-Piece can be found at Dingocroft, item ZZLMA050. Side port of this T-piece is 1/8" x 27 NTPF, so you will need a fitting oil pressure sensor.

3. Discard the old pressure switch and buy a VDO pressure sender with an integrated switch. You will still need some kind of adaptor or extension to move the sender away from the oil filter housing. You can still use the above mentioned T-piece, but cover the sideport with an M10x1 bolt or the old sender if you can actually reach the hole to achieve this.

So parts needed (VDO part numbers):

350-030-003G: Oil pressure gauge 0-5bar

310-030-003G: Oil temperature gauge max 150deg C

332-030-001G: Voltmeter 12V

All items have the large white nut to fix it in the dash/console. So no old fashioned metal strips/bars.

Sensors:

323-801-004-012C: Oil temp max 150deg C M16x1,5 (length of thread + sensor tip = 29mm, M4 knurled nut for contact attachment), add a copper crush washer.

Alternative is 323-801-012-001D (length 15mm. 6,3mm flat contact 90deg angulated)

360-081-029-001C: Oil pressure 0-5 bar M10x1, without warning contact.

Alternative is 360-081-030-002C, M10x1 with warning contact, if you decide to discard the old pressure switch, just hook up the warning contact cable to the warning contact on the sender.

Of course you can get any oil pressure sender as long as it fits the thread in your T-piece or other adaptor and of course is compatible with your gauge.

This topic will be continued as soon as I have finished the installation. Pics of all the parts will be posted as well of course! ;)

my banjo fitting is all genuine LR, there should be enough space for yours to fit, these parts were fitted to order to the 2.5 range of diesel & petrol engines. plenty of space on my 200tdi, so yours shouldn't be any different,

all the 2.5 engines including the 200tdi both versions use the same oil filter head.

Haha, you are always so quick replying, nice.

Just a few questions about the banjo fitting:

Is it leakproof? What is the approximate tightening torque?

And where should I put copper washers (crush washers??)? Options: between 1: banjo piece and oil filter housing; 2: banjo bolt and banjo piece; 3: banjo bolt and pressure switch; and 4: banjo piece and VDO pressure sender? So in total 4 washers? Or do I only need 2 for the connection between switch, sender and banjo?

Already found out that the thread in the banjo piece to put the pressure sender (not the switch) is M10x1 as well. So will need VDO sender with M10x1 thread.

You answer one question and you get a new bunch in return ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi you might want to contact Caerbont gauges in the UK. They have the licence to make all the Smiths gauges that were popular in the Minis and MG's of the 60's

Cheers

Old topic, but just what I am looking into at the moment.

In my 1984 LR 90 with 200Tdi (Defender 1992, not Disco! Perhaps the same oil-filter-housing-wise, but I’m not sure) motor I want to add a voltmeter, oil temperature meter and oil pressure meter. I'll put these clocks in the Mud Console that I prepared for this. I chose 52mm instruments from VDO's Cockpit International line.

I've been looking everywhere to find the thread size of the various senders needed in order to place them in the places they are ment to be placed. LR part numbers were easy to find, but not the thread sizes if you want to use non-LR senders. I don't want to run the risk of them not being compatible with the VDO gauges and so give me inaccurate reading. To make things easy for all of you who want to do these mods in the future, here's a nice summary:

Sender threads:

Oil pressure switch M10x1

Oil temperature sender: : M16x1,5 (Goes in the place where blind plug ETC4021 is located; oil filter housing, facing forward. Plug goes out, sender goes in. For those who wonder if oil will pour out of the hole once you removed the plug: not if you allow the oil to seep into the oil sump, so leave the good old landy alone for an hour if you don't want to make a mess.)

Now the oil pressure sender is a bit of a problem as there is not enough room for the 4,6cm diameter pot to fit in place of the original oil temp switch. There are 3 options:

1. The option described above by Western (Banjo fitting)

2. Buy a M10x1 T-piece (1x male, 2x female) that you screw into the original oil pressure switch hole and screw the VDO pressure sender into the side port (hoping that it will point into a direction that actually allows you to screw anything into it) and the original pressure switch into the end port of the T-piece. T-Piece can be found at Dingocroft, item ZZLMA050. Side port of this T-piece is 1/8" x 27 NTPF, so you will need a fitting oil pressure sensor.

3. Discard the old pressure switch and buy a VDO pressure sender with an integrated switch. You will still need some kind of adaptor or extension to move the sender away from the oil filter housing. You can still use the above mentioned T-piece, but cover the sideport with an M10x1 bolt or the old sender if you can actually reach the hole to achieve this.

So parts needed (VDO part numbers):

350-030-003G: Oil pressure gauge 0-5bar

310-030-003G: Oil temperature gauge max 150deg C

332-030-001G: Voltmeter 12V

All items have the large white nut to fix it in the dash/console. So no old fashioned metal strips/bars.

Sensors:

323-801-004-012C: Oil temp max 150deg C M16x1,5 (length of thread + sensor tip = 29mm, M4 knurled nut for contact attachment), add a copper crush washer.

Alternative is 323-801-012-001D (length 15mm. 6,3mm flat contact 90deg angulated)

360-081-029-001C: Oil pressure 0-5 bar M10x1, without warning contact.

Alternative is 360-081-030-002C, M10x1 with warning contact, if you decide to discard the old pressure switch, just hook up the warning contact cable to the warning contact on the sender.

Of course you can get any oil pressure sender as long as it fits the thread in your T-piece or other adaptor and of course is compatible with your gauge.

This topic will be continued as soon as I have finished the installation. Pics of all the parts will be posted as well of course! ;)

• 7 months later...