Manual or Auto

firebod999

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and new to Freelanders. I am looking at buying a 56 plate TD4 in the next two to three weeks and was wondering what the reliability was like on the Freelander auto box. I haven't had an auto now for a few years and just fancied getting one again. I don't plan on towing anything heavy just the occasional towing of my small Erde trailer. Also how does the fuel consumption fair compared to the manual.

Thanks for your help.

Dale :)

One further point, the auto box is tiptronic ie you can switch it into manual. This is especially useful when you set off on a cold day since the box is programmed to stay in low gears initally to warm up the fluid, this results in you screaming along in 2nd or 3rd with attendant high fuel consumption. I just drive it in manual for a mile or so then switch to auto.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2000 td4 auto, very smooth box and lovely to drive. no problems with it as yet and i do tow a 1450kg caravan. heard that manuals will burn clutches fast especially when towing weight.

i would say since freelander is not a vehicle you buy to drive for speed etc i would go auto, cant beat steadily pottering along in the countryside without having to change gear :D

only down side on the newer plate ones is higher tax band, and also the higher MPG but its only about 5 miles

FB

I bought an 05 HSE TD4 Auto from new (my first me car) and kept it for 2.5 years, did 55k miles and the only major issue I had in that time was the rear diff popping literally the week after I had placed an order for the FL2. I thouroughly enjoyed driving it and only changed it because Landrover gave me an FL2 HSE as a courtesy car while they sorted out one of the niggling issues that I had i.e. the door release on the drivers door kept failing and needed repaired cos I couldn't open the drivers door from the inside.

I also used it to tow a 1500kg twin axle caravan which it did with no complaints.