who makes them ?

Does anyone know if there is anyone in the southwest making rear crossmembers for 110's ? i would like one that is really just box section with extensions and just the holes for the towing bits ,someone said they thought there was someone down this way but couldn't remember who

If its the guy down near plymouth that has advertised occasionally on LRO forum that you are thinking of, then dont bother with him. I thought the pics of his crossmembers looked good and had one off of him - I asked for extensions and got handed 4 bits of 3mm plate 6"x3"! Should have refused it there and then, but paid him, eventually tried to fit it and the blasted thing was bent and wouldnt fit. Could i get my money back??? Not a chance! The engineering company i took it to local to me said the machine that originally folded the metal had not been set up properly, hence the metal was not folded at right angles.

My advice is have a think about it and get folded by a company you trust, use box section as others on here have done and pretty much machine it to your own specs, or pay for one of the better quality ones and attempt to avoid a lot of hassle! Loads of threads on here about the different options and routes taken by people including some threads in the tech archive.

Its bish that gave me the idea ages ago but i have never needed it until now ,thing is i need it to have extensions on ready to be put on and then welded as im not doing the welding but have got the price down by agreeing to take the old one off and get it all ready so all he has to do is literally just turn up and weld it

Thanks for the kind words folks.:)

Wozza - I would strongly recommend buying a cross member with extensions from Bearmach or whoever Les is recommending at the moment. The amount of work that goes into making that cross member cannot be over stated. It may "only" be a bit of box, but you have to taper it, cap it, drill and tube it, drill and tap it, weld on the tub mounts and then attach it all to the end of the chassis rails. For a professional with the right equipment it may be a day's work to make it, for me it was a lot more than that!

In fact, why not drive to uncle Les' inventing shed and get him to supply and fit it? He can turn one round in a day easy I am sure and you can be confident he will do a good job at a fair price.