Long Term Storage of a 300Tdi 110

I am planning a move to the Czech Republic for a year and will not be shipping the 110, so I need to properly store it. I have read various websites that offer tips on long term storage of a car.

I'm looking for some tips from other Land Rover owners that have stored a Tdi Defender for a long time with success (meaning least amount of head ache when you return and start it up and drive it again). I probably won't be able to get someone to start it up and drive it occasionally, so I'm looking at long term unattended storage...

I've heard it is best to change out all the fluids (diffs, t-case, trans, engine oil and filter). Block off the air intake and exhaust tailpipe. etc., etc.

Can anyone offer up some advice? Anyone do this and have some good tips, things to watch out for?

The main thing is outside or inside?

If outside then there is plenty that can be done to make life better for the car. Most of the things the websites recommend.

If it's in a dry garage for example I'd just put it on stands to stop the tyres getting flat spots, then be done with it. I wouldn't bother with the fluids, assuming they're all present and correct, and don't have any water mixed in with them, there won't be any issues with internal corrosion damage of components. When bringing it out of storage I'd give it a once over, especially things like brakes etc, but a year isn't very long for a Land Rover. My Series III sat for 10 years on a drive and the engine still started (once I'd freed off the points...)!

I planned to keep it inside a garage rather than outside. I live in Seattle, Washington USA which I hear the weather here is similar to that of the UK with a lot of rain. It rains here 9-10 months out of the year and is moist most of the time.

The multitude of websites mostly say the same thing, some say things others don't like:

One site says to wedge the clutch pedal down with a wooden plank to make sure the clutch doesn't rust/seize to the flywheel.

Another site says to slacken the engine belts (Air Con, Alternator belts).

Other than the two examples above, most sites say to go as far as to change out the antifreeze coolant, clutch and brake fluids, as well as to re-pack the wheel bearings.

So I want to do it right, but I don't want to over do it either just adding expense, unless it is necessary.

yes i'd do all the above please waxoil the chassis, bulkhead and b pillars etc. jack the car off the ground, pump the tyres up hard, disconnect the battery or leave it on trickle charge. get some dehumidifying crystals etc to stop the mildew.

It's in really great condition. It's a 1993, but was restored in 2006 before I bought it. So it's basically like a 2006 spec Td5 with two exceptions: has a 300Tdi and a full Safety Devices cage. Has 20k miles on it. Which brings up another question: Should I have the timing belt changed before storage or after? It's on the same belt since I bought it back in 2007. Or am I over-thinking things?

if it were me, i would remove the auxiliary belt, and store it with most of the weight off the wheels, ie, on axle stands maybe.... i wouldn;t worry too much about anything else, if you wedge the clutch pedal down, then it means the hydraulics are under constant pressure for a yr, which i woldn;lt think was good..... on return, i would then change the oil asap, coolant, probably the brake and clutch fluid.... and also get a bew cam belt fitted asap..... oh, and clearly store it with the battgery disconnected, or even removed..!

I am pretty sure that LRs own advice is to pump up the tyres to about 60psi and disconect the battery. There is actually an official "Service Bullitin" somewhere.

Lots of cars stand for at least a year before they are sold. In a garage is even better. Just spray some WD40 on the bits of engine, chassis and body that probably already have some rust spots on them.

Cheers

Nick