Straight ahead/steering centre on a 110

reb78

I was just removing some of the play from my steering box today. Tightened it up nearly a whole turn in total. The strange thing is though that the 'straight ahead' position at the steering wheel seems to have moved 1/8 of a turn anticlockwise (it was at the 12 o clock position before i started fiddling). What would have caused this? Its a 6 bolt Gemmer box if that makes any difference.

No tight spots Ralph, but i think i've gone as far as i will with the box. ( i backed it off half a turn in the end as i was worried about going too far).

The reason for fiddling with it is that it has got a bit 'twitchy' at constant speeds on the motorway. Checked the tracking (and tyre pressures) this afternoon and all fine. All ball joints are recently renewed with Dephi joints. No play in the swivels or in the steering column UJs.

Odd things are that the steering damper is old and rotates freely by hand at the end furthest from the drag link. More worrying though is that there is movement in the LHS trailing arm bush where it attaches to the rear axle. I guess this could allow more rear axle movement than possible and account for the twitchy steering? (will replace both sides asap)

Thanks. If I remove the arms one at a time from the truck, will the axle need any support to make sure it doesn't move backwards or forwards? I guess if I do it with the landy on the ground and chock the front and back of the wheel on the side that im working, that should be ok?

Thanks. If I remove the arms one at a time from the truck, will the axle need any support to make sure it doesn't move backwards or forwards? I guess if I do it with the landy on the ground and chock the front and back of the wheel on the side that im working, that should be ok?

dome my rear arm chassis end bushes one at a time without jacking up anything.